Juvenile Black-headed Grosbeak

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We finally got a nice cloudy morning where I had some time to spend in my blind. It ended up being a pretty good day for both Evening and Black-headed Grosbeaks as well as a few other images. I thought I’d start off with this one, mainly because it was toward the beginning. This is my little elevated bathing pool and drip. The “perch” is just an old piece of bark from a stump. A raccoon has been industriously rearranging the furniture in my pools lately so this was just a quick fix on my part.

Specific Feedback

How’s the crop? I have extra room on the top and right if it feels too crowded.

Does the out of focus near wall of the pool bother you?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, f/6.3, 1/640, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6416x4533. Taken at 10:09 AM today.

1 Like

Good catch Dennis. I like the overall composition. Color balance seems about right for a juvenile. I’ve had a few of these in my neighborhood also. The reflection is really nice.

It’s a fine looking juvenile, Dennis, and the image is great! Lots of details in the feathers.

The crop looks good to me and the OOF strip at the bottom edge doesn’t bother me at all.

Very nice! :slight_smile:

Good look at this Grosbeak and a nice environmental capture. Crop looks fine to me, and there is nothing distracting in the image to my eye. Well done.

Dennis, this is really nice, right at eye level with the Grosbeak getting his sip of water. I have missed seeing photos of birds at your pond. Really nice.

Nice catch Dennis. I don’t see anything distracting. Love the pose of the bird getting a drink. All the surroundings are complimentary and add interest to me. Well done.