Black-headed Grosbeak

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m not positive whether this is a female or a juvenile, though I think the latter. Another image from my blind session of a few days ago.

Specific Feedback

There was some dangling grass that filled the upper right corner and it was just way to bright and ugly. I tried the new Remove tool but it looked pretty bad, so I cloned some moss from the other corner onto it and messed with it to try to blend it in a bit more. Is it too obvious?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/800, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PPS CC. See above for the major processing, otherwise just a bit of cleanup on the background and bringing out the grosbeak’s feather texture. Cropped to 7504x5628.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, love your set up shots - so well done. The cloning looks good to me. Great subject with fine exposure and head turn. Love the partial topside view we get along with the side of the head. Well done!

A really cool bird in a nice setting. I think the moss looks fine. Well done.

The grosbeak is tack sharp and pops out from the dark BG. I might darken the diagonal, broken brown line that intersects the bird’s tarsi. Perhaps, it is a stick floating on the surface of the pool. Not a deal breaker, but it did catch my eye. Otherwise, looks very nice…Jim

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny. I didn’t notice that.

1 Like