Female Black-headed Grosbeak Portrait

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From the same session as the the male. I was slow on this one and clipped her tail severely in all three frames I got, so I decided to crop further for a portrait.

Specific Feedback

I can’t think of anything in particular-just have a t it.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/500, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4374x3348.

1 Like

I think that this cropped version shows the inquisitiveness of this grosbeak. She is definitely checking you out. Techs are spot on and I like the fact that you can see one foot on the perch. Colors and details are ideal. This one is fine as presented…Jim

She does appear inquisitive and I like the stretched neck very much. She’s got some lovely marking that suit a closer look. Brighter yellow than I expect to see but, we don’t have them here so how should I know? I like that you included one foot.

Like @Kris_Smith, I’ve never seen one, so her colors are interesting to me. Techs are all good and I like the fact she seems to be checking you out. A little catch light in her eye tops it off. Nice

Hi Dennis, nice portrait and its great to see the fine feather details on the head and body. The inquisitive look is awesome. Pixel peeping I see a small amount of noise on some of the body feathers but that is nitty. A fine capture.

Dennis, I have been photographing Black-headed Grosbeaks recently and they are elusive…this is a nice catch. I like the closer perspective and the claw on the edge is a great touch.

Nice job on this Dennis. I like the colors and the detail.