Black-headed Grosbeak

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went back out to my blind for an hour or so this morning and was lucky enough to catch this guy. They only stop a second or two on their way to the feeders, and since they’re larger than my usual subjects, I have trouble zooming out on time, hence the rather crowded frame.

Specific Feedback

Is the frame too tight? This was darker than I liked in the original and the out of focus part of the perch had some ugly halos when I brought it up. I tried doing some cleanup on it and left it a bit darker than I liked-does it look ok?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/500, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped just a tiny bit to 8604x5544. Taken today at 9:38 AM under cloudy skies.

1 Like

Wow! I’m on my laptop and a bit sleep and oxygen deprived (very happily, on a photo adventure in the High Sierra) but everything looks perfect to me. The color and detail in the bird are stunning, and being large in the frame accents that. And I love the composition and the high key BG. The perch looks fine from what I can see.

I’m not seeing any issues, Dennis. Excellent details in a beautiful bird and, while it isn’t a great perch, I see no problems with it. Perhaps a little darker than I would like, but certainly not a distraction. Looks like your hour in the blind payed off handsomely. We don’t get these guys around here regularly, though there have been reports of a stray bird here and there.

Everything looks great to me Dennis. I like the cropping and framing with the green branches. Colors and detail look spot on. Nice frame!

This one has a lot of color. I think it’s probably accurate but there is a lot of variety in colors of some of these birds.