Juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk

Description:

This young Sharpie (probably a male judging from it’s diminutive stature) has shown up in our backyard several times recently checking out the birds at the feeders. We haven’t seen him catch anything yet, but he still seems healthy so he’s finding food somewhere. He was just transitioning from a vertical pose to a take-off pose in this image.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/10, 1/1000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2728x3544. Taken at 4:57 PM on September 23rd.

2 Likes

Dennis, I’ll go with the term “crisp” on this image. The small hawk is a very clean looking raptor. I’d say very well groomed if you will. Excellent :sunglasses:

Good look at the hawk. The detail is excellent and it pops even more against the background.

Great looking portrait! I like the pose…it seems as if it is getting ready to take off.

Ready to pounce! Such a sense of energy under restraint. Love it.

Nice pose with a pleasing background. I like the curving perch also. I think I see what looks like a little motion blur on the head in the large image. Still a fine capture.

Dennis, that is a nice looking visitor to your backyard. Excellent capture.

Very intent looking bird, Dennis! Good detail, exposure and background. I wish I could see more of the tail but only a minor nit. The perch is not ideal angling out of the frame but what can you do. Great that you have this bird right in your backyard. Great looking bird. Sure looks healthy.