Juvenile White-tailed Kite

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had a great opportunity to shoot nesting WTKs in 2013, but hadn’t done much with the pictures. Then recently a friend told me a local winery was opening a tasting room and was looking for WTK pictures. I sent them some and they made several choices. This one and another will be put up as 30x40 metal prints, and they are interested in probably 3 more. The BG was foggy grayish-blue sky but they wanted this textured BG. https://blackkitecellars.com/

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 11.30.34 AM

Reworked in the new LR/PS and the textured BG added. Pretty big crop.

2 Likes

Wow!! Great work on both the photo and getting your work into a winery. That’s pretty sweet. The bg is a little odd, but given what they want to do with it, it makes sense. I love the total wing and tail spread.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith! I was a little skeptical of the request for a BG other than plain sky, but the owner (the founder’s daughter) came over and we sat at the computer for quite a while and reviewed possibilities and she fell for this one. I like it too. The founder was an avid birder and the Black Kite (an older name for the same bird) was his favorite bird. The winery has kept the old name. (And the wines are excellent!)

That’s a lovely shot of the bird - I agree with @Kris_Smith that the BG is odd; perhaps it could be muted so that the kite doesn’t seem to be indoors? Or maybe they want to add some writing to it? Anyway, well done on capturing such a fine open-wing pose, Diane.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel! They won’t be adding text. This (and a companion piece) will be wall prints on metal, just as shown here. The new tasting facility is a pleasing mix of modern and organic, and I think the prints, although a bit unusual, will work well. The first two will be hung on the wall you see coming in. Several others TBD. Interesting observation that it seems to be indoors – I hadn’t thought of it that way, but I think that’s quite appropriate for the setting.

I got lucky that a friend is a close friend of the owner. I knew (in passing) the founding couple from my tennis-playing days but had lost contact with the growth of the original wine venture, which has now passed on to their daughter.

1 Like