Kauai Sinkhole

This is a single exposure shot of the lava pools in Kauai. Please let me know what you think and how I could have shot this better. Thanks

Hey Harrison,

Welcome to the network. What an amazing location!

For me I would have returned at sunrise or sunset as I’ve found it hard to make seascapes compelling during the day.

Is it an illusion or is the horizon Not level ?

Hi Harrison,
Welcome to NPN. Looks like an amazing spot. I’d love to know your shutter on this as it looks like you nailed the right amount of motion blur on the water splashing. I would 2nd what Nathan said as it’s hard to make seascapes looking good in the middle of the day. It seems like you did all you could with the light you had. I also see the distortion of the horizon, was this shot on a wide angle or fish eye lens? Looks like it could be corrected with lens correction in lightroom.

Welcome! An excellent first post. Not ideal light, but still a very compelling image. Some of the bright areas are a little too bright and blown, but the water action and SS is very nice.
I see the far horizon is actually hilly land, so it is an illusion that it’s not straight. The Landscape people on this site are exceptional, so you’ll learn a lot. Jump right in with your own comments and suggestions too - all opinions are important and worthy.
Sandy

Yes, I agree I could straighten out the horizon… and this location sure is amassing! I also visitsed it during low tide during sunrise and the conditions were less then ideal. Thanks for the insight!

Awesome! Thanks for the words and yep… I tried to straighten it but it’s the landscape but my ocd sure bugged me regarding that lol. Can’t wait to see other work as well

This was shot with a wide angle. And I believe I used a shutter of 1/4 of a second to get the nice motion blur. Thanks!

Harrison welcome to NPN, this dynamic image is a great first post. I agree with @Sandy_Richards-Brown, the tilt is an optical illusion, notice that the shoreline in the upper right corner (URC), is level. You may still want to try rotating it slightly, but it is not off by much. Your shutter speed looks great, it caught both the sinkhole and the crashing wave very nicely.

The composition is pretty good, you have an arrangement of the foreground rocks that directs your eye to the center of the image. My only nitpick is the brown rock in the LRC, it feels cut off by mistake, I would prefer to either see all of it, or less of it. Thus I would recommend a crop from the right and bottom, to make the crop of that rock look more deliberate. The bottom half of the image feels a little too bright to me, especially in the darker tones, I would reduce exposure in the bottom half. I think if you applied a strong vignette (especially to the bottom half) it would help direct the viewers eye to the center of the image. If you don’t mind, I downloaded your image and made these changes…

Ed and Harrison - excellent - this is just what I meant by “exceptional landscape photogs on NPN”
Subtle but very effective changes by Ed.
Sandy

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words.

Harrison, Welcome to NPN! It is so awesome to see someone so young engaged in nature photography! I hope you continue - and NPN is a great community to learn and share your passion! Awesome.

I think you did a great job in this capture - especially given the time of day as others have pointed out. Your choice (and accomplishment at this hour) of shutter speed is excellent!

For me, the timing of the crashing wave and the filling of the pool go hand in hand and in my mind they are connected. Exposure, color all look good to me.

Regarding the horizon, it’s weird, the shoreline on the right looks level. But it’s that patch of ocean horizon on the left that looks distorted. If it is barrel distortion, it should be on the right as well - unless this was cropped on the right reducing any distortion??? Fixing the tilt on the left horizon is quick enough using the Transform tool in Photoshop.

Welcome to NPN and nature photography!

Lon

ps. @David_Kingham, I’m wondering if NPN can/will offer a discounted rate for youth??? hmmm, what a concept! :wink:

Lon, that’s a great idea! I know you remember the young photogs NPN has mentored, and sometimes funded to send to the NANPA international Covention - Jenaya Launstein, Joe Sulik, and Ashley Scully, among others. All were 14-15 or so.
Sandy

Thanks so much for the kind words!! Means a lot

Thanks you so much for the kind words, sandy!