Kegon Falls (Japan)

This is my second post here for critique. The feedback on my first post was amazing. I truly appreciate the community for the comments. For this one I again will take any and all suggestions or comments that will help me grow in my hobby

. Thank you.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Mark, I’m glad to see that you found the feedback on your first post to be so helpful. Your first post was interesting, but just to mix it up I see you decided to have the waterfall flowing at the viewer for your second post :grin:

I think your shutter speed has done a good job with the appearance of the flow of the water. I like the light and green/yellow color of the mossy cliff on the left. I also think you did a good job handling the amount of sky to show above the waterfall, where you cut off the tops of waterfalls can sometimes be tricky.

In terms of suggestions, my biggest concern is the darkness of the LRC, it just feels like it would benefit from some dodging to reveal a little more detail. And although this is subjective, the image overall feels slightly too cool in WB, and I think some warming might help.

Ed thank you once again for the quick response. Correct I decided to take a more practical approach to this waterfall and face it head on :grin:

I’m going to go back in and work on revealing a little more detail and warming up the WB to see how it impacts the overall image and compare the two. A tendency I have noticed is that I over darken images in areas.

I have to say thanks again for taking the time to give an honest critique. I have needed the guidance for a while now and a place to get it. Thank goodness for this community.

Lovely waterfall Mark! I especially like the smaller falls right of the main fall. The warm colors of the vegetation are beautiful.

The composition and flow of the water is nice, but it does make me wonder what was to the left? I realize it may have just not been an option, but a shift to the left might have grabbed a little more of the lower falls?

I agree with the thoughts about the darkness below. It looks like there is a lot of interesting detail in their; it would be nice to see that just a bit more.

1 Like

What is LRC? I am trying to learn from the feedback to others

Mark I love this photo. I like the flow it has from the bottom all the way to the top.
in terms of suggestions I would personally darken some areas, i think the image could benefit from some mid-tone contrast. I also found the little stream on the bottom right distracting, I would have tried to eliminate it in the field ( I recognize this may not have been an option) just a thought.

Thanks for sharing

Sorry, I usually say Lower Right Corner (LRC), it’s a shorthand we use here.

Also, at NPN the term LLC does not mean Limited Liability Corporation, it’s more traditional meaning as an abbreviation :grin:

Thank you John I’ve gone back

John thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback. I apologize for just now responding. I have gone in and lightened it to reveal a little more detail and now that I’m looking at it I do like it a little more.

Correct I could have however timing and crowds prevented me from doing that. The location is one way in and out and heavily managed by the Japan park service. Which is a good thing in all honesty.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide me with much needed feedback.

1 Like

Aref thank you for the advice regarding mid-tone contrast. I will play around and see how it looks and do a side by side.

I was on the fence with the small stream on the right. Leave it or get rid of it? I will also see how I like it without.

Thank you for feedback.

1 Like