Kerlingarfjoll with Photographer

Hi Folks,
Here are two more images from the Kerlingarfjoll area of Iceland. These two have a human element (a figure, carrying a tripod) to show scale. I’m not sure whether this adds interest or not compared to my first set. The person is fairly small in the frame, but perhaps that’s fitting?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Still working on processing in color given my recent focus on b+w. I did not mess with sharpness since I think the newest LR CC has a different sharpening default (i’ve received a couple of oversharpening/crunchy comments of late and I’m blaming it on Adobe zipper_mouth_face:)

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work or should I shift the crop somehow to emphasis the figure with tripod?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single image in LR

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

These are a big improvement over the previous batch, both in composition and in processing. The vertical seems to be a crop of the horizontal. I don’t like how the very top was handled in the crop. I would include some sky and not slice the dark sections.

Thanks Igor. The vertical is a different frame—note that the figure is further along the path—but I like your approach to it and might attempt it with the original frame. I’ll see how much sky I had there. Then again, maybe the figure is too small in my vertical? There is a sense of vertical challenge implicit in being at the bottom.
ML

#1. A picture of mostly shapes and color because nothing in it is uniquely identifiable or known. Igor’s crop maintained the basic lines and shapes eliminating some duplication and maintaining the blue that works well with the rust colors. The guy not needed for scale, he adds a human presence that seems maybe out of place. I prefer the cloud position in #2. I like your images and thank you for showing me this place.