Killdeer Calling

Hi All,

Photographed this guy/gal in a bean field near my parents’ home in Arkansas. There was a low spot in the field that flooded every time it rained, and the killdeers loved it. I’d imagine they had babies near, but I never saw them.

In post, I cropped in a bit from the right, worked on the color of the bird, cloned out a few spots that cluttered up the image, straightened, resized, sharpened the bird, and reduced noise on the BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
700mm, handheld
ISO 1600
1/640
f/5.6

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

3 Likes

This is a very nice shot of this Killdeer, Lyle! The exposure is perfect with no loss of detail in the white feathers, the colors are excellent and its very sharp and detailed (except of course for the lower belly and legs that are hazy due to the oof vegetation that was in front).

Beautiful, Lyle. Great pose and the bit of water work very well. I love the out of focus foreground green and the way it blends with the background.

Hi Lyle, nice one. I really like the calling pose and the sense of movement conveyed. Details look good on the upper body. The surroundings give this a painterly feel. Well done.

Hi Lyle
Great shot. the low angle, detail, color and framing are very nice. The next time you use sharpening, try looking at the mask with a 150 or 200 to 1 blowup. I can see the mask were the legs cross and behind the upper front leg. The only reason I even looked there is Gary’s common about the lower belly and legs were hazy. Nice work.
Peter

I really like the dreamy feel to this shot created by the low angle and out of focus vegetation, beautiful image Lyle!