Killdeer

I liked this for the open mouth. Too often, it seems, my Killdeer shots seem very static, almost as if the bird was stuffed and on display.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1250 at f6.3, ISO 640

1 Like

Excellent shot with superb detail in a typical setting for Killdeer. The colors are quite pleasing. If I were going to do anything to this image, I would consider cutting the highlights on the right side of the collar to bring out the detail. A fine image!

1 Like

You are right, the open beak adds absolutely to the image. Nice to have it close like this. David’s suggestion may be worth pursuing, although image works for me ‘as is’ (By the looks of it you took it under some unforgiving light, but managed a good result). Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Good detail in the bird and a nice catch light in the eye. It does look like the light was a bit harsh, but you handled it well.

1 Like

Nicely done, this one seems very much alive. Really like the eye and the very rich textures in the feathers.

1 Like

You got this one very well Allen. Sharp eyes, open beak
I would consider decreasing the saturation and luminance of color green
And this one is a pure personal preference - a little more space for this otherwise excellent image!

1 Like

Great catch with a nice pose and setting! The light was harsh and I wonder if the resulting high contrast could be tamed more in the raw file? It can be tricky but often worth it.

1 Like