Killdeer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this killdeer at the local park pond. I think he was a little past me.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 400, f6.3, 1/3200s, hand held

1 Like

Nice looking flight shot. Stands out well against the background. Detail looks good and I like the wing position.

This is nice, Allen. As fast as they are,I think I’d take any flight shot from this species but this one has excellent detail, good eye contact and nice wing position. Well done.

Nice sharp eye, Allen. You nailed the action, but I’d personally sharpen up the shoulders a bit more and maybe blur out a bit of the body, tail and feet to simulate motion. The background is clean and simple and could use more tonal definition it think. I’d try darkening up some areas of it just to see if makes for more interest. Hope this is helpful. It’s a really nice shot!

A nice crisp flight shot, Allen, I like the wing position as well, my first reaction to the image was to use a lighten the background with a softer contrast.

I think this catches the character of a killdeer quite well - the self-sacraficial creature, whose purpose is larger than her own. A great sense of purpose I get from this. They are quick so kudos for being skilled enough to get this catch.