Killdeer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An oldie but goodie. Back in May of 2010, we were visiting friends in Indiana and I pulled into the Goose Pond Fish & Wildlife Area to check it out. While parking, I spotted this fellow hopping around the lot, apparently injured. Little that I knew then that the Killdeer was putting on his broken wing act to lead me away from his nest.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Canon Powershot SX1-IS, ISO 200, f/5.7, 1/400s. Adjusted exposure, contrast, and sharpness in post processing.

Sneakin’ Sally through the alley…

Well not really, but I just listened to that song so it’s in my head. Funny how near roads these birds are some of the time. When I lived in NH, there were some nesting on the side of the road leading to the airport - very near the main strip, too. Weirdos.

I like the framing with the grasses and the hunched position of the bird. Alas the sharpness isn’t what it could be, but viewed small it’s acceptable. You could take down the luminance level of the grasses I think and still have a good scene.

Thanks @Kris_Smith for your thoughtful comments. Yeah, my old Canon P&S was easy to carry but the small sensor and glass limited the results. Since I first saw one in Indiana, I have seen a few in New England and they always seem to be near gravel parking lots.