Killing Time

What technical feedback would you like if any?

When in a vehicle, sitting down, all animals go about their usual business and there’s never a feeling of threat or danger. The reason why wildlife doesn’t seem to ‘see’ humans in cars as a threat or a prey is still under debate. In any case, I’ve seen hundreds of lions in the wild in my life and though I’m always in awe, I’ve never felt scared.

However, sitting in the back of a fully open vehicle in South Luangwa observing a male lion after dark was a different issue. It had its eye on me and when for this powerful predator it’s ‘killing time’… and you realize his night vision is a lot better than yours… I must admit I was intimidated and when the stare had lasted too long for my comfort, I ducked down on my seat avoiding all further eye contact.
Just me being chicken, I’m sure, as our guide was very relaxed and had a bit of a chuckle :upside_down_face:

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Photographed about one hour after sunset using floodlights.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@ingridvekemansphotography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great capture Ingrid, the spotlight can give quite a harsh light but it really works here and I love the way you have let it just pick out enough of the lion to give a very atmospheric image…
The blade of grass adds a nice touch as well.
(I’m just back from South Luangwa and I think this guy may have given me the stare too!)

This kind of situation and this type of look can be very intimidating for any one. Love the spot light and gaze the lion gave you.
If this was mine, I would crop some canvas on the left and subdue the bright grass blade.

1 Like

Excellent image! I really like this. I have no other comments other than, of course the guide was relaxed, you were the first in line and that was probably enough for the lion.

1 Like

@Jim_Gavin: thanks for your comment and appreciation. Not so sure though that the guide had any reason to be relaxed, I’m just a tiny gazelle :wink:

@JRajput: thanks for your comment and appreciation. I will try the crop on the left, I think that might work out well! To me the grass blade adds a bit of extra so I wouldn’t subdue it myself.

@Ryan_H: I’m sure it must have been the same one. You never forget THAT glare! :slight_smile:

Grt, Ingrid.