SO CLOSE

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any reactions are welcome!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Really, we were so close three nights before! I could barely fit the lioness into the frame :sweat_smile: This beauty was watching her companion as she stalked across the plains towards the gazelles… So many photos, so much beauty…

Tsavo East, Kenya

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Ingrid, what first captures my attention is the tilt of her head and the beautiful light hitting on her chin and chest. Your DOF is wonderful and keeps the background from interfering with the detail in her coat. The overall feeling is one of power. It is that of a Queen. I have only one small nit. I might add extra breathing room above her head. That would be easily done in PS. Just lovely.

Ingrid: the image show the lioness’s grace, beauty and power. I like the warm tonality whether from natural light or by processing. I also like the tightness of the composition. Normally, i would say that the image needs more room all around, but the way you’ve presented it works for me. My only nit would be to tone down the oof grasses. They become a minor distraction when the image is viewed large. Congrats!

A strong pose of an impressive lioness looking just like a Sphinx! I like the simple colour pallet with the background matching the colour of the lion. I’m guessing that’s it’s either early or late in the day as I have quite a strong magenta which brings a warming glow

Thanks so much Barbara for your well appreciated comments. At the time of taking the photo I was well aware of the breathing room. However, there was no possibility to get more room without moving the vehicle and disturbing her. It took some effort to get her all in there :upside_down_face:

Hello Richard, thank you so much for your time and appreciation. The warm tonality is purely the warm evening light (the sun had just set), no post processing on this. I forgot to mention, also to @Barbara_Djordjevic , that I do not do adding backgrounds/more space, or toning down OOF grasses. I like to present the photo as I took is. Thanks once again!

Thanks so much, Ryan, for your feedback and appreciation. The photo was taken just after sunset. Kind regards, Ingrid.

Thanks for explaining your process. You certainly were close.