Watching

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Late one afternoon, we drove into very heavy overhead cover and brush to try and photograph lion cubs. Unfortunately, the cubs were obscured by branches and greenery. As we started to back out of the area, I turned around and saw this lioness who had raised her head above the log she was hidden behind.

Specific Feedback

The background was very busy and the foreground log was light in tonality so I decided to burn both to make a moodier image and to place the emphasis on the lioness. What’s your take on the final image?

Technical Details

R5 and 100-500 lens at 1/500, f/7.1 and Auto ISO at 3200. Cropped to about 75% of original size.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Richard, youve gotten tack-sharp detail here in the fur and eyes of this beautiful cat. The piercing stare is very compelling. With those eyes, Im drawn immediately to them, and don`t even see the blurred FG.
Another marvelous image!

Like Sandy, those eyes are like magnets. When I opened the new images, I immediately noticed this one and my attention was diverted from the others. Blurred background: looks great. Wonderful image.

She is so beautiful Richard. I love those eyes and that is all that matters in this one.

Sandy, Jim and Ed: many thanks for having taken the time to look and comment. Your comments are appreciated.

Very interesting image with striking eyes, that have focussed on something interesting.
There are many things I would like to do with this image. I may add a touch more canvas around the lioness, may dilute the blacks here and get some more details in the nose and may add some saturation to lioness selectively.

Jagdeep: Thanks for your suggestions Jagdeep. I look forward to seeing your rendition.

1 Like

In that case, please forward me the raw file at jwild@rediffmail.com
Thanks !

Jagdeep: I obviously misread your post in thinking that you would make the modifications. No need for you to go to the trouble. Cheers, Richard