That feeling of being watched.

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Walking through a gully in Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania. My wife spotted him, but he had seen us long before…

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Leica CL, Sigma 100-400 L

1 Like

Boy, Jaapv, am I a sucker for lions’ eyes!! Initial thoughts: If this was mine – and don’t I wish! – I might enhance the irises just a bit more to bring out their gorgeous color. I’m also thinking about all the green and wondering whether I might darken it just a tad for all the foreground stuff (or maybe adjust the temperature in a mask), but I’m not sure I would. I might experiment with other aspect rations, to remove some of the foliage from the left and right edges – maybe 5x4 would help, but still keep the ‘spying’ feeling that your image title conveys? Last thought: the foliage to our left seems to distract me, and particularly the bright stuff we see looking through that foliage. Again, if this were my photo, I might try to darken all of that just a tad to see if I couldn’t balance it more with the foreground green just covering his nose. (Now, would you please stop taking these great pictures? Frankly, I want to take them! :grinning: ) Best regards, and call me Envious.

Thanks for the kind words. I see what you mean but I think I’ll leave the “hidden in the shadows “ aspect. African wildlife is a bit of a specialty with me. I just finished planning this year’s jaunt in October to SA this time A couple of weeks bush on a friend’s private game reserve and hoping to get some Whale, Great White, Seal and Pinguïn stuff in Hout Bay.

I’m envious – I won’t be returning to southern Africa until Dec. of 2024. It’s a horrid-long time for me to cool my jets! I’ll definitely look forward to seeing your images when you return!
Best – MET

I really like the Lion’s expressions, especially eyes, I don.t mind the oof greens but would prefer a darker shade.
I also find the greens much more over powering than the color of lion.

1 Like

I see what you mean with the greens I was considering a tighter crop Darkening the shade would lose the presence of the Lion, I think.

Thanks J ! :slight_smile:

Hello,Jaapv! I love this photo! I think the foreground out of focus grasses gives it kind of a dreamy look to it. I love how the lion is looking at you. I think it’s a very beautiful image.

1 Like