Yummy

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I love the eyes and tongue of the subject lioness. I like the sparkle in the eye of the lioness behind the buffalo because I think it draws attention to the social nature of a lion feast – although I’ve been told it distracts, and I’d like your opinion. I am distracted by the OoF greenery to our left of the lioness in the foreground, and would appreciate any thoughts on whether or how this image can be improved through post-processing techniques (especially, but not limited to, the distracting grass).

Creative direction

I’ll keep this image in color (although I generally prefer B&W or sepia). The photo is about her clear, shiny eyes looking straight at me, along with the look of satisfaction suggested by licking her tongue.
FYI, this is part of a series, of which I’ll be posting at least one more image.

Specific Feedback

I’d love to get aesthetic and emotional feedback on this image; my goal is always to engage the viewer’s emotions. However, in this image I’m especially hoping that someone might have technical suggestions for reducing the negative aspects of the greenery on the left of our lioness. I’m not really inclined to remove it entirely, but would entertain the idea.

I’ll also appreciate suggestions for improving my camera settings on future photo opportunities of similar composition and conditions.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D Mk III, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM @ 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, 0 EV. Time of Day: approximately 1 hour after sunrise. Setting: closely backed into the surrounding bush, no opportunity to maneuver to a better position (none such available).

Description

A pride of several females with a coalition of two males had just taken down a lone Cape buffalo. The lions were still in a state of heightened adrenaline, and still verged on attack. Their edginess and pupils were still reflective of their readiness to fight, but this lioness was calmed down enough to begin breakfast. After resting on their prey for perhaps 10 minutes, she got up, went around to the nose of the buffalo, and took the first bites. On signal, the rest of the pride also began to feast.

1 Like

At first the grass bothered me a bit, but reading your description I think it adds to the whole story now. I really love how you captured the morning light on the lioness - and the stare and licked chops are exquisite. I would remove the catchlight almost totally in the second lioness’s eye, as that does distract me - the lioness in itself suggests the social event to me; but it’s a personal choice. A super portrait.

Hi Michael,

I love this image for the emotional aspects as well as the aesthetic aspects… the backstory you provided is very important to me. Yes… it’s easy to see that this pair of lioness’ are somewhere in the process of feasting on a fresh kill but it’s not easy to tell what the kill is or at what took place prior to this scene.

Personally, I’m glad you kept this in color because it shows the warmth of the animals including the Cape Buffalo and to me it conveys an event that is taking place now rather than an event that has long past. IMHO, B&W and Sepia images are largely associated with the distant past, they can also be used to great effect in artistic ways but for me, B&W and Sepia treatments are best done along with other artistic treatments like the high contrast, high key image of the hyaenas at the bones of the Hippo you posted for your Introduction. Even with that image, the major events were a thing of the past, that image in my view wouldn’t have been quite as effective if it were at the beginning of the feast when the Hippo was still intact.

As far as this image is concerned however, I feel that the green color is a distraction so I recommend removing the green color, then reduce the amount of blue hue from the Buffalo side and snout.
I also agree that the heavy glint of light in the eye of the lioness in the BG is a bit distracting but it does serve a purpose, however, I feel that the intensity and size of the glint should be reduced and slightly more defined so it will still draw attention but not in a harsh way (I hope that made sense).
The only part of the grass that I feel needs to be removed is the OOF portion over the Buffalo side so, in my view, a quick cloning in that area would be beneficial.

A small item to me is the intensity of the white fur at the FG lioness, it isn’t blown out at all or even close really but I felt that it could be brought down by changing the color to a slight tan just to smooth out the overall impact of the early morning light.

In the example edit below I reduced the highlights of the grass by adding a sold color fill layer rather than just reducing the exposure. I like using solid color fill layers for such things and blending modes are often Overlay or Soft Light.
To remove the green color, I used another solid color fill layer but I used the Hue blending mode.
(See the attached Layers Snippet).

I hope you don’t mind me doing an example edit, for me, I like to actually try the edits before making recommendations, that way I won’t be recommending something that doesn’t work or doesn’t look good. :slight_smile:

Personally, I really like the perspective, the composition, the DOF and the exposure so I really don’t have any recommendations for different settings or compositions. What you have works very well in my view! And yeah that tongue is a real asset!! :slight_smile:

No problem at all if what I did doesn’t align with what you are willing to do or if you just don’t like the edits! It’s just a thought :slight_smile:

I’m really glad you were able to witness and capture this event in person!! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate your comments. I think I worried that the grass is distracting enough to me that it might pull the viewer’s eye away from the second lioness. But I’ll remove that twinkle from her eye.

Wow, Mervin, thank you for your incredible critique! This is beyond my hopes for help on the image!

I agree with your comments about color vs. BW or sepias. I generally make my choice for an image with the same rationale (I’ll add that I sometimes choose BW or sepia to create a timeless, rather than historical, effect – but maybe that’s really the same thing because I’m manipulating the viewer away from the present).

I realize that it’s not easy to see what the lions are eating. In the full image, the buffalo is largely just a large, dark, hairy lump that distracts me from my subject; and neither did I feel that the gore was necessary to my intent this time. (I also knew that, consequently, the back story wouldn’t be well reflected in the final crop.) All I really wanted to do was give a hint to the fact that this was a fresh kill and the lions were settling in for the feast. Thus the crop you see. I hope I didn’t take that minimalism too far.

I think your improvements on my photo are really superb! I wish I’d had your insights when I made the image, and I will definitely be attempting your suggestions. I haven’t used solid color fill layers before, so it will be a bit of a learning curve --which I’m excited to take on! I especially appreciate the screen shot of your layers; this is really eye-opening for me and far more advanced than my own experience with them.

You’ve really helped me a lot with this image, Mervin. Thank you so much for your time and effort. You’re very kind.

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I’m glad that you liked the critique as well as the edit suggestions and I’m also happy that I was able to help expand your use of solid color fill layers. I largely ignored them for a long time until I decided to commit myself to learning as much as I could about them through simple experimentation (I doubt I will ever learn all the ways they can be used).

The backstory is important to me as mentioned and that is mostly because I have a special interest in knowing more than necessary but, I should have said that the crop you chose worked very well on it’s own!!
It really is a very compelling visual story (even without the backstory) so in my view you did a great job with the crop and presentation! :slight_smile:

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts on what motivated you to crop and process this the way you did.

If I were a typical non-photographer, non-critical viewer, I could easily interpret this as a well composed, highly emotional image. It certainly has an artistic presentation because of the selective DOF, near perfect exposure and well chosen perspective and composition.

BTW, the pleasure was all mine, I enjoy learning and sharing my thoughts. :slight_smile: