Perhaps you'll join us for breakfast.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shortly after dawn on an early June day in South Luangwa, deep in the brush, a pride of several females with their coalition of two males killed a lone Cape buffalo. The lions were still in a state of heightened adrenaline, still edgy, and still verged on attack. As they crowded onto their prey and started eating breakfast, the larger male paused to give me a considered stare – and this was the moment. We see him sandwiched between the flank of one lioness and the other male, who wears a GPS collar for tracking and protection by Zambian anti-poaching rangers.

Specific Feedback

OK folks, this is another one from my Wayback files. I’ve been working and reworking this image for several years, and I would really appreciate it if you’d put this one through the wringer for me. Tell me anything and everything you think I should do to improve the image before I finally print it on Hahnemühle 308, 13"x19". Be as broad or as nitpicky as you wish. Give me your honest assessments and any technical advice you may have, and in any depth you care to offer. Because I’ve been working this cat for so long that I need outside interference, or else my therapist/wife says I’ve gotta be done with him! His eyes still haunt me!

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mk III, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (Mk I) @ 340mm, 1/250s, f/6.3, ISO 640. This JPEG is from the RAW file, worked in LR. Heavily cropped. Other processing (on a copy, not this JPEG) includes DXO Deep Prime for noise reduction and Topaz Gigapixel @ 4x enlargement.

1 Like

As it’s heavily cropped, maybe you could enter it for the Image Processing Challenge category. I certainly couldn’t process it any better than you have, but others might approach the crop differently. I was a bit puzzled by the lower 35% of the image until I read your clear explanation (other male, GPS collar etc). The position of the lower lion at first glance led me to believe he was the prey! That said, it’s a beautiful portrait - well done!

Hi Mike, I’m really glad you told me about your confusion regarding the lower third of the image. This concerns me, and I never noticed it because I saw the image as the guy who was there, rather than as someone just viewing the photograph. Thank you for pointing it out! And thank you also for your kind compliment. Best regards – Michael

Hi Michael,

I can see why this one has been so difficult in terms of settling on a final edit.

The thing that comes to mind as the “Main” focal point is the look on his face and those eyes, it had to cause an alarming and unsettling emotion for you at the time of capture, it’s one of those emotions where you can literally feel your scalp move and tingle!
The hard part is realizing that there is literally no way to recreate that emotion in a photograph, it can stir the memory of being there in person but that is as close as you can get IMHO.
Nobody else can know that emotion to the same degree unless this reminds them of a very similar situation.
I have had a similar encounter but mine was with an alligator at least fifteen feet long while it was lurking just under the surface in a swamp, I didn’t see it until I was only a few feet from it. :open_mouth:

For me, I think the tight composition is spot on even without seeing what’s beyond the borders (in the periphery).
As a viewer ignoring the backstory, the lion seems somewhat confident and comfortable, he doesn’t come across as immediately threatening, he appears to be lying down and his ears are slightly lowered and relaxed looking.
I see the female’s flank in the BG and I see the male in front but I also see another female between the front male and the star of the show (I see a total of four lions).
My interpretation of the star (the in-focus male) isn’t without a high level of caution on my part because I know these cats can rise to Pounce Mode in an instant if they feel you’re too close!

I’ve said before that OOF grass in front of the subject is natural looking and not a distraction but that was when the lioness was looking off to the side and not straight on like this is. I do feel that the OOF grass that bends in towards the lion’s snout is a distraction in this case. I would want the viewer to get as much of that look on his face without any distractions so they’ll have the best chance of “Seeing” the lion!
I also feel that the slight spots of green aren’t dispersed in a balanced way and becomes a distraction, so, I would consider using a solid color fill layer in Ps in the Hue blending mode and paint those green areas to match the browns of the other grasses.

If I were going to print this large (13x19), I would heavily consider the edit suggestions above but, that’s just me. Remember, you asked for anything and everything that I think you should do before going to print. :slight_smile:

Here’s a quick edit example using mostly the Remove tool in Ps along with some careful Cloning to get rid of the OOF grass near the snout.
We’ve already talked in detail about changing the color of greens using Solid Color Fill in Ps so I won’t cover that one again unless you want me to.
Oh yeah, I did enhance the eyes a little since that part seems so important.
I also changed the color of the lower lioness’ eye corner, it was bluish and it makes sense but it seems more effective to be the typical gold color.

BTW, the somewhat obscure male lion in front, the lioness in front and low, along with the flank of the rear lioness adds to the scene for me, it adds a touch of mystery that causes the viewer to look closer and take the time to study what’s going on. It’s a plus IMHO!!

This is an awesome capture in my view, Michael! :slight_smile:

This next example is totally out in left field and nowhere near what you asked for but I just had to see what this would look like with a mild custom glow and a touch of canvas texture.
If I were to actually print this I wouldn’t add the texture effect, I would simply print it on canvas, so, the texture in this is just for demonstrating the look after it’s printed on canvas.
Forgive me if this offends you (I’m hoping it doesn’t based on previous interactions between us). This is my only way of being a paint style artist and I thought I might share how some of my printed renditions appear.

Hi Mervin, wow, wow, and WOW! Thank you for the great feedback, and especially the PS advice! I love your improvements, and I thank you for the technical guidance. And you know what? I think the idea of printing him on canvas is fantastic! Here in the high desert of central Oregon, things get so dusty that I gave up on the idea of canvas prints long ago, without ever even thinking about how canvas might contribute to my images. But your rendition really makes me reconsider – not just this one, but several others as well.

BTW, you nailed your interpretation of the cat: he isn’t threatening now, he’s just coming off of his adrenaline. Same with the rest of the pride. They all rested on the buffalo (black triangle, lower right corner; I didn’t feel that the animal’s species was actually necessary for this image – am I wrong?) for something like 10 minutes until they were sure it was dead and we weren’t going to intrude. That’s when the female got up and began breakfast (re: “Yummy”), followed promptly by the others. This big guy – the one that finally brought the buffalo down – just kept a more constant eye on us. But as you’ll see later, he did eventually get his fill. You know, I can see an added value of a calming period like this for lion prides: it can help reduce dangerous conflict within a pride.

Thanks again for your advice Merv. I really appreciate your candor on this, and your suggestions. Can’t wait to try them!!

Just happy to know that I was able to offer something helpful, Michael! :slight_smile:

And, no, IMHO there would be no need to show the buffalo, I think the story is apparent if you look close.

I’m looking forward to seeing what’s “Next” :slight_smile: