King Vulture

While at Laguna de Lagarta Lodge in Costa Rica, I had the opportunity of shooting from a King Vulture lodge set up by one of their employees (Diego) on his uncle’s farm. He did a wonderful job of choosing a location where the bait (pig’s heads) could be staked down in a dip in the ground so it was invisible from the blind. While I got quite a few action and flight shots, I think this more serene view of the vulture was my favorite.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 783 mm, hand held resting on the window shelf, f/9, 1/4000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Full Frame. Taken at 10:33 AM on April 19th.

4 Likes

A very fine photo of this huge vulture, Dennis… :+1:
With the blurred BG you could always go for a rock removal for another look. Regardless, a truly stellar image of this King Vulture… :cowboy_hat_face:
Always amazed me at no matter the type of vulture around the globe they all sport the barren or bald heads. Quite functional of course as when eating carrion the lack of feather tops is for cleanliness in the end… :sunglasses:

You captured a very interesting pose and look toward you, with that amazing face!! Gorgeous setting and DOF with excellent processing. The detail in the whites is so nice!

Outstanding color, detail, and exposure. I really like the expression in the head-on look. These are pretty unusual birds. The trunk on the right side of the frame has a tendency to pull my eye a bit. This might be better without the trunk. I was also at this Lodge when I went to Costa Rica. You appear to have better lighting than I did.

I just love face on shots of birds, but I never thought that I would love one of a vulture, but I do! Thanks for sharing this, Dennis. He is actually a nice looking vulture.

What an amazing bird. Photographed very nicely, an all-natural feel to the image. Love the mute light. No nits from my side. Best, Hans

Fascinating looking bird. Excellent detail and handling of the whites and blacks. The head on pose is great. I like the composition and the tree is okay, framing the bird. Can’t quite figure out the facial features-looks as if it is sticking it’s tongue out at you.

Hi Dennis
Thank you for bring us incredible bird, although the way it is looking at you, it maybe a hint together out of dodge. The soft light, detail and color are great.
Peter