Turkey Vulture

This is from the archives (from 2014), discovered on a deleting binge. I decided it was worth a rework with new software, but it didn’t make much of a difference as it had been exposed to the right and there was basically no noise, and it was sharp. I’m pretty sure it was handheld, as I remember slowly sneaking up on it behind the cover of a big wood pile, but I may have been resting the camera on some of the wood.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, 600mm (300mm f/2.8 IS + 2X), ISO 1600, f/6.7, 1/500 sec. Full frame. Very little done in LR. Denoise in PS but barely make a noticeable difference at 100%. The post was overexposed and I selected it and darkened it with a curve. The BG was distant winter trees and a few brighter branches were barely visible OOF so I softened them with partial opacity cloning. Added a darker vignette – that was about it.

3 Likes

For some reason, in seeing the pose and background made me think of a studio portrait. The detail in the vulture is excellent throughout the bird.

Hi Diane
I agree with Allen. The vulture has a very regal look. ( I am the King of all I fly over).
Peter

Oh, Diane! This is so beautiful! It looks like the Vulture is actually posing for you! When I first saw the photo before reading your story I thought it was maybe taken at a bird sanctuary. But to actually get this in the wild is wonderful! Such great details and color. I love it! Awesome capture!

Outstanding! No nits!

A beautiful portrait of this vulture, Diane. No nits from me on it.

Thanks guys! I was afraid it looked too much like a studio portrait myself. The light was wonderfully cloudy-bright and the BG was dumb luck. By this time he was getting suspicious of me, as I carefully crept closer, hiding behind a tree and then a wood pile. But I doubt I was hiding very well. Not long after I got this shot, he flew. But I did get several more shots with various poses and without the ruffled feathers.

Very nice frame… soft light is perfect for them

Hi Diane,
Beautiful portrait. The light is wonderful and the detail is superb.

Yes, this is especially good, put it on a bird stamp, it’s a solid winner . Great light on the prehistoric beast. Nice job on the BR Read a report some time ago they were doing a study on the Turkey V’s facial oils for use as an anti bacterial.

It certainly does look like a studio shot. Really well done. DoF provides lots of nice feather detail thru out the photo. I like how the nice brown mottled bg matches up with the brown mottled look of the feathers.