Turkey Vulture

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Any pertinent technical details: I spotted some roosting Turkey Vultures near our house while ago so I grabbed my camera and got closer to them. This shot might have been better if I would’ve had time to remove my 1.4 TC. Shot with my D500, 1/500th, f/8.0, ISO 450, 650mm, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1.4 TC, monopod with gimbal head.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Some good detail at a bird few bother to photograph. The steep angle is a bit of a minus and I would endeavor to clean up at least some of the branches in the background.

IQ looks good; the head is very sharp. I do see just a little bit of noise in the bird’s feathers. And Skip already mentioned the steep shooting angle and busy background. Looks like you did a good job on the exposure, especially given this difficult situation.

Excellent detail and exposure in the vulture and an amazing job of finding a clear hole through all those branches, Dave. A bit steep, but I doubt there was a shallower angle available.

So true on the clutter of the tree. When I first spotted it I was about eye level with it from my deck. I walked down to closer to it and they (4 of them) let me get real close to them as in pretty much under their perches. Closer is always better to me but it did change up the angle and, yes, it was a real challenge getting a clean shot for all of the tree clutter.