Kingbird vs Osprey

I took another swamp tour this weekend in northwest Tennessee. We witnessed an osprey being harassed by a kingbird. I guess they both have nests in the area. In the first image you can see the red crown patch on the kingbird which is usually hidden.

The kingbird persisted for several seconds and then flew off.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 1250, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held from boat

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

2 Likes

Hello, Allen, nice documentation of behaviour that always make me feel in awe: these little birds taking up against much larger ones. Thanks for sharing ! Cheers, Hans

Two great shots, Allen. Amazing to get both birds in focus-that never seems to work for me. The behavior is really cool. I seem to recall reading that Kingbirds are notoriously aggressive in maintaining their territory against all comers, no matter how ridiculous it seems to us.

Excellent behavior and environment. Nice to have this opportunity available to you.

Allen, What a wonderful experience it was to see this and better yet to capture it in such sharp detail. The natural framing with the branches around the nest or aerie make the image too. It’s a small thing - not important - but you might consider cloning out the red stuff in the nest. Fabulous image - thanks for sharing it.

HI Allen
Nice story telling. You did a good job with the detail and coloring of the Osprey in what looks like very tuff lighting.
Peter