Osprey with fish

I went on an outing this morning to a swamp in northwest Tennessee. Main species to see were ospreys. Most of the osprey images I have taken in the past have been on clear blue sky backgrounds. Today afforded an opportunity to capture some images with a cypress tree background. This image was taken in early morning light as a bird carried a fish to its nest.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Outstanding image, Allen… :+1:

Stunning image, and having the bird flying towards you really makes this a great image ! The (slight) downside is that the fish stands out less clearly with this position, but that’s not a show stopper for me. Wonderful light ! Well done, Allen !

My thoughts coincide with Hans. Also, I like the muscular/bone detail in the body. I agree with you that it’s nice to see this bird against something other than the more common sky. :slight_smile:

Great light and superb detail, as usual, Allen. I also like the composition and wing position. My only nit is that it would be nice to have a touch of separation of the head from the body-it kind of blends in at this angle, though the sharp eye helps. You might try adding just a touch more light to the face to draw the viewer’s eye.

A wonderful in flight shot of the Osprey, Allen, with a nice background. I didn’t even notice the fish at first, but like Hans said, it isn’t as easy to see with the Osprey coming towards you, but I would be thrilled to call this mine.

I like this a lot, too though I prefer the image with the nest. It adds a little bit more context to the image. My only comment is to clone out the tree trunk on the right edge of the frame.