Osprey Landing

The osprey landing in its nest.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Excellent landing shot, with the fish nicely visible as well (see my reply to your previous upload :wink: ). I looks like as if it had been eating from it somewhere before bringing it to the nest ? Cheers, Hans

Allen, this is an excellent landing shot with fish very much visible this time. I love the lighting. Hans mentioned the head missing. I was watching a video on Osprey just a few weeks ago, and they said that the male will eat the head off before bringing the fish to the nest for the family. So I am guessing that is what is going on. Great shot, Allen. Just wish it was mine! Not been able to get out and shoot for quite awhile, and this morning I woke dreaming I was photographing an owl (which I have yet to have the opportunity), so I must be missing it.

Hi Allen
Really nice early morning shot. The detail in the fish and Osprey are vary good. .I have see the male Osprey returning with a head less fish quite often. Allen do know what the blue tint on the right wing is from?
Peter

Gorgeous shot, Allen. I love the landing pose and the view of the underside of hte wing is great.

Gorgeous. Please tell me this nest is not on a platform or something :laughing: Ospreys do have a knack of finding the least photogenic place to set up nest. With this one, I really love the pine needles showing up on the nest. Any improvement would only be to wish for the far wing to be slightly higher so the leading edge does not intersect with the beak.

Hi Adhika, the nest is on top of a cypress tree in the middle of a swamp. I hired a park ranger to take me out in his boat to photograph. Thanks - Allen

Ah, gotcha. That is such a neat photo opportunity! All the ospreys we have around here nest either on a platform, on a light pole, or something like that. Looking forward to seeing more!

Hi Peter, I am not sure what is causing that. I guess just the way the sunlight is hitting the wing tip.
Thanks - Allen

Great environmental image Allen. Like @Adhika_Lie, the only thing I wish for is the right wing to be higher and more visable. Nice soft light on the underside of the bird and sharp. Well done Allen!