Kinross and Pyramid in Summer Snowstorm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We took the Jasper Skytram in June and ran into a brief snowstorm on top. There was drama all around us. This is the view to the north from the top of the gondola with just a small window to see the peaks.

Specific Feedback

I toned down the brightly lit rocks below quite a bit trying to balance the overall image. Your comments and critiques are welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f13, 1/100 sec, iso 100, +1EV, 24-105 at 82 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Wow, neat shot! The foreground rocks really set off the beautiful, misty mountains with snow in the distance.
The FG feels a little heavy to me, and takes a little away way from the mountains.
A square-ish crop might work here, to cut off some of the FG. but still retain the full width of the mountains.
Great to have visualized this!

1 Like

I can see that crop maybe helping this @SandyR-B. I’ll work on it when I get a chance.

Ed, I agree with @SandyR-B about the FG. To me, although it contrasts color and texture wise with the mountains, it detracts from the wonderful mood of the foggy mountains. I have attached a crop for illustration.

1 Like

Thank you for your work on this @Larry_Greenbaum. It is really cool. I just don’t feel like it has the same impact as looking over the edge into that dark, dark valley and through the window of clouds to the mountains in the distance. I might try to do more of a square crop to see if I like that aspect.