East Jasper Evening

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

About an hour before sundown, Jasper was starting to light up.

Specific Feedback

Overall balance of the image. Enough lake?, enough sky?, too many trees in the way? etc. Is the lighting ok between shaded areas and lit areas? Thanks for your comments and recommendations.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f7.1, 1/250s, iso 100, 24-105 at 67 mm. Handheld, Topaz light sharpening.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is beautiful! I’m not sure if this is a positive or a negative - that one tree that is in front that is curved really grabs my attention. Obviously the mountains are in the distance, but the fact that the top of that curved tree is above the mountains directly behind it bothers me a tiny bit. But I am being ridiculously picky … i t is stunning!

Really pretty scene…
It would have been nice to be able to get much further to the right to avoid that one large right tree in the way, but you probably would have needed a boat in the river :slight_smile:
Nice colours, sky with clouds, and greenery

These trees remind me of a welcoming committee and give me a sense of invitation and a rush to show me all the best stuff. The big one seems most enthusiastic. The background looks right for the time of day, but the trees lack dimension and feel a bit muddy. A mask to lift the midtones would probably do it, but you could also try using the Point Color tool in Lightroom to get some color separation. Adding some texture would bring some life, too. Just in the trees though. And beware of halos - I think there are some developing where the trees go over the water in the lower right.

Lovely scene, but, I’m not sure I can agree on the composition, can’t identify a subject of the image. The area has great potential, might consider walking around to the right, placing the trees on the left; focusing on the lake walking the eye up and through the mountains.

Thank you @elizabeth, the tree does kind of break the line of the mountains. I can see how it might be a bit of a distraction. Thanks @SandyR-B, you’re right on trying to move to the right, big slope down to marshy lake area and I was afraid I was losing the light so I didn’t want to go too far afield to get a different angle. Thank you @Kris_Smith, I really need to learn my post processing craft better. I’m slowly picking things up here and there, especially with the resources and webinars available here on NPN. Just need to step it up a bit more. I know I should have remembered to bring my tripod (forgot at home as we were rushing to pack) and taken a three to five exposure bracketed shot with this one to get the detail in the shadowed area along with the wonderful light on the mountains behind. Handheld on the fly, not good, Tripod with plan, good. And, thank you @gDan52, I was really trying to focus on the late evening light on the mountains. Other issues stated above.

1 Like