45 Minutes Before Sunrise: Maligne Lake, Jasper National Park

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Any pertinent technical details: Sony a6500 with E 55-210-70 lens at 55 mm. ISO 100. Exposure 15.0 sec at f/6.3

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a really calming scene. I quite like it!

The thing that sticks out to me is the reflection in this image - you were there during what was a really calm morning and it appears you’re getting a great mirror effect from the lake. I’d like to have seen a slightly wider angle where you include the full reflection.

2 Likes

I like the cool, calming feeling of the scene. It makes me shiver (in a good way)!

It is a shame that the reflection of the mountains are cut off. Also, there is a lovely gentle slope towards the highest mountain in the background, but that feels cut off by the trees in the foreground. There’s also a patch of purple just under the largest mountain that could do with being shifted towards blue (seen on an iPhone anyway).

Overall, though, I like the image, and I like it’s simplicity. It also sharp and detailed, and I like the use of the long exposure.

1 Like

A beautiful scene. I do like the composition. I wonder if it would benefit from a warming filter to remove the blue cast from the snow?

Thanks.
Is a warming filter something you add at capture or are you suggesting warming the image in processing?

I think you have a lot of potential with this scene. The title indicates that it was very early so the light was quite dark (45 minutes before sunrise). I don’t know what the scene really looked like, but the cool blue tones would certainly come into play with that kind of light (based on your choice of white balance). I looked at this and thought it could use a shift in tones, darkening a bit of the highlights without going too dark in the darker areas. This is the result. A couple of luminosity masks to target the brighter tones with a heavy warming filter applied, a curves adjustment to add some contrast to the sky and reflection, another curve working the blue channel to help with the blue color cast and finally a bit of an overall contrast push. The yellow tones in the sky came from the adjustment of the blue channel.

I don’t know if this kind of processing suits your tastes, but maybe it helps with what might be possible with this kind of image.

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills or experience to understand a lot of your explanation. What is a heavy warming filter and how is it applied? What is a curves adjustment? How does one “work the blue channel”? Can you recommend a good on-line Lightroom course to help me bring up my game? Your edits made the photo so much better!

What an amazing morning…I can actually picture myself sitting on that shoreline and the calmness of the scene…so I think your picture really captures that. Like others have mentioned I really would have liked to see the full peaks reflected in the water. I also like the layers on the left hand side of your picture…the small island or what looks like an island…followed by the lighter green trees and then the mountains.