Starting to Snow On Top

Original Color Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken from the Jasper Skytram boardwalk last month. I felt with all of the white snow and dark rocks it would work well in B&W. It was just starting to snow. Fortunately it didn’t last too long, but it gave us a really nice moody sky and lots of really great valley views of the Athabasca and Yellowhead Valleys.

Specific Feedback

Did I leave too much of the nondescript clouds on top? I wonder if I could bring out more texture in the clouds. I bumped up the saturation and the contrast significantly for the B&W version. Enough? Too much? Is there a better crop for this? Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f13, 1/125s, iso 100, -1 ev, 24 mm (24-105 f4 lens)

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

You have so many beautiful photos of fantastic locations! I love the light dusting of snow on the mountain tops and the three triangular mountain tops almost forming a diagonal line across the image. I see your point about the sky, but I think you need it just so that the mountain tops are not too tight to the top of the frame.

The one thing that jumps out at me is this edge I have circled in red. Was that there in the original? I’m wondering if it is a processing artifact.

Beautiful image and scene overall.

Thank you @elizabeth, I didn’t notice that line. I’ll take a look at the original and see what happened.

1 Like

I went back to the original RAW file on this one @elizabeth and I was surprised to see that the bright line of snow is actually there on top. It is not an artifact, but a bit of reflected light on the very top of the mountain.

2 Likes