Last Snow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I drove to the White Mountains to make intimates of wood. However, I ended up not liking them and thought this one had greater emotional appeal. What do you think? Well, you can’t make a comparison so just let me know if this has an emotional draw for you. It does for me.

As you can see there is nothing white about the White Mountains. Lol.

Specific Feedback

I’m wondering how the sky works for you.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Igor, the baren foreground stands out against the distant blues of the mountains and the sky. The result is quite stark and that effect is enhanced by the strong shadows crossing the foreground. I wonder about showing just a bit more detail in the ridge, but recognize that would likely reduce the starkness.

Igor,

The whole photo works for me. It certainly has an emotional draw, an emotion of desolation and loneliness, and yet one of hope conjured up by the upbeat blue of the sky and BG mountains.

1 Like

Works for me. Reminds me of a desolate landscape found in maybe Mongolia. The sky, I feel, is perfect for this image. It’s like the landscape, empty. A colorful or cloud filled sky would feel incongruous with the rest of the image.

2 Likes

This definitely has a strong draw for me emotionally and it’s a beautiful image! I love everything about it – from the line of mountains in the background to the vast and empty, yet not boring foreground but what I love most is the dark shadows in the foreground and on the midground hills. It adds so much richness to the image.
I have no issue with the sky and I think that the simple blue gradient really suites the image.

1 Like

I saw sobering I liked and wasn’t surprised to find that it’s Igor’s work. I think the sky works very well with the lighter shade above the mountains and the darker blue on top of that. The spots of last show make it interesting and I like the aspect ratio. The whole image comes across classic first, but then isn’t. Thanks for sharing, Igor.

Lots of great thoughts above, but for me what really stands out is the set of contrasts between near and far. Clarity vs. hazed, dark vs. light, strong contrast vs. low contrast, brown vs. blue, less snow vs. more, etc.

The contrasts provide a tension in the image that I like. At first I thought the shadows should be opened, because that is often an improvement, but viewing the image longer I think they really set the image up for the rest of it to make sense; I think you made the correct choice and I wouldn’t change them here.

Igor,Your image makes me think about all those more than 40 years we went skiing at the dolomites.(now 7 years ago), As I now see the snow has almost gone in the image, makes me sad.
Therefore it is a great image to me.

Igor, I only just noticed your image and I want to tell you how much I love the strenght of the simplicity and of the all the opposite contrasts of lights, colors, sharpness; this in the whole image yet especially between sky and earth that creates an infinite depth. Definitely an emotion.

1 Like

Great balance and flow