On the final beach

What makes this image expressive?

I am not very good at dealing with the emotional state in my pictures, but instead I develop stories in them. The picture was taken in the middle of winter in NorthCape in Northern Norway in really rough weather. The idea for the picture came at the time of shooting and depicts the last beach from which there is no return. I shot dozens of pictures of which only a few managed to get the light, clouds and especially that splash of water even in some way
This is one of my favorite pictures for capturing its powerful story and ok shooting situation
This is also an old shot and very noisy, but this was in an exhibition a few years ago
I have also tried to make a black and white version of this, but I have not been very satisfied with them

Specific Feedback Requested

All

1 Like

Hi Jorma, Nice to see this image and my Norwegian wife would love it too! :slight_smile: You’re neighbours!

You have braved some really wild conditions here to make an image that has deep emotional and cultural relevance for you. I know many people who struggle to express emotions through words, but that does not mean they are incapable of feeling emotion. When you learn to express passion nd emotions through your images, you get the same benefits of being emotionally open, without the risk of appearing vulnerable or weak.

I am very emotionally open, and that is ok for me, because I teach emotional literacy through creativity. I wouldn’t do a very good job if I could not do what I teach.

Again, we can fall back on the impact and consequence of the elements in the frame. Many people will see only ocean, mountains, snowfall and clouds. I see mood, feeling, energy and the odd distraction.

The way the snowflakes stand out against the dark clouds is excellent, this can be surprisingly difficult to do, not to mention challenging. The colour of the sky is arctic light to me. I have been in northern Finland, Sweden and Norway and this is a colour that speaks to me. It is north light. Perhaps the far left is a little saturated in the blues, and is just a consequence. It probably steps over the reality line bit. The deep ocean is great, very moody. The scene is balanced otherwise, with the luminosity of the snow not appearing incongruous with the available light.

My only doubt is in the boulder on the snow. I’d lift the blacks and shadows in there a bit, as it just feels too heavy, too dominant. The fact it is also rectangular doesn’t help. It’s a big black block in an otherwise flowing landscape.

Great to see, I appreciate you posting it.

1 Like

Thank you very much Alister! I have struggled a lot with that sky because it has been the only one I have fixed numerous times and I have not been satisfied with it. I even tried a black-and-white sky with a small addition of color, but this will live many more times

1 Like

Desaturate the blues in the top left by a tiny amount and it will be really great. The overall tone is already very near perfect.

1 Like