Winter coast

I’m thinking of posting this seascape for a competition but I may not be able to get the best out of it. What do you guys think of this. It’s not quite mainstream and therefore quite a nice competition picture. This has required a lot of work days and many versions

Specific Feedback Requested

All

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

This is an exceptional image. There is really nothing to suggest and that’s to be expected since you put in so much time. The shutter speed is perfect as it gives the sea some great color gradations that merge into one another. Great image.

Compositionally I think the show in the lower right area is the weakest part of the image but I don’t think there’s much to be done about it. Having black rock between the frame and the snow would have been nice. Also, having the snow be new and purely white would have been preferable. I don’t see any crops that would improve that.

P.S. I invite you to critique other people’s work.

I’m not sure what you mean by not mainstream but this is a very good landscape image in my opinion. I think the colors are very natural and not overdone, you have terrific detail front to back and an interesting foreground with great light and mood. I like the chosen shutter speed for the water but the clouds look too blurred for me (I just think these clouds would look better with more definition) but nothing you can do about that anyway and it’s a very minor nit. As far as adjustments you can make to this, I’m really not seeing much. I’d say go ahead and enter this in your competition, Jorma. Pretty great image as is. I can see the work you put into this. It shows.

Great Image Jorma, I love the color of the water, the long exposure and how that one channel leads right into the mountain. One very minor grip would be that one dark spot just above the horizon on the left edge.

2 Likes

This is a very striking and beautiful image Jorma. I really like your composition and all of the diagonal lines. The colours are also really nice with the cool blues in the water and snow offset with the warmth in that sky. Very powerful!

Thanks guys for the nice feedback! I guess this is the kind of picture that will never be finished. I just made another version which is shooted half an hour after this and that’s ok too. I have drawn my attention to exactly the same things as Igor, David and Blake and something I have fixed. The shutter speed is half a minute and is a bit challenging to control, especially in cold and high winds. I would have liked to have used longer exposures but it was impossible due to the awkward location and icy wind.
Igor, I’ve been thinking about that myself, but I have to learn the special english vocabulary of photography so that I can say what I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t worry about that. It’s what you say rather than how you say it. Look at Ben’s comments. He struggles with English but everyone understands him. Of course, I understand how much effort it takes to translate everything you wish to say into English. So, no pressure. It would be great if we had software where you could write in any language and the reader could read in his language. Facebook has this ‘translate’ feature which you click on and everything is converted for the reader.

PS. I prefer the sky in the rework but prefer the color and luminosity of the distant sea in the original. I also like the darker whites in the rework, especially on that mountain on the right. They’re both good. Yes, the rework is slightly better.

1 Like

Such a striking landscape. Why do you feel it’s not mainstream? The colors and textures of the snow and rocks are dynamic (I think it’s all the pointy bits). Along with the angled lines, this has a lot of energy. I prefer the second version for the way the frothy/white water wraps around the middle outcrop and for the more diffuse clouds. I think the clouds are the weak point for me - they aren’t quite blurred enough, although the second version is better.

Thanks Bonnie. I agree with their share of heaven, the latter is more balanced. Unfortunately, very extensive image processing is prohibited in the competition. I also have versions where the clouds run harder but are made by manipulation. Here is a half minute exposure and a longer one would of course have been more impressive in the sky but in the water probably too long. However, as a compromise ok.

I prefer the rework, Jorma. The sky works better for me as the mix of warm and cool tones is more pleasing; at least to me. I also like the water movement better in the second version. Good luck with the competition!