The Thaw

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This picture of Mt Bachelor was taken a week after the road had been opened. I was intrigued by the patches of snow.

Specific Feedback

Does the bit of snow intruding from the left bother you?

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi, Igor!
This is a very peaceful and serene image, to me. That little left blip of snow does distract me a bit, though. Nice EP!

I like that Igor.

Can I suggest a pano crop that moves the bottom edge up to the snow path/patch?

I tried various bottom crops on this one and settled here. Cropping up to snow splits the image 50/50. Crop a bit lower and you get the water region on the right pulling you there. I wanted the outline on that bank included. The standing water is an important part of the image. I felt it was more important than the mountain itself.

1 Like

To me this image just feels so relaxing that I can’t imagine a better place I’d like to be right now. Your composition feels really balanced and the soft light really suits this. The snow patterns on the mountain are wonderful as is the pattern in the foreground with the bits of land and water/snow. Of, and the two small pines in the bottom left really add a nice dynamic element to the otherwise quiet scene. I like this very much!