Late Winter at Mt Bachelor

This was shot just a couple days ago at the base of Mt Bachelor, OR. The temperatures are rising and starting to expose this very large meadow. I had to rush up there because each day more is exposed and the composition I thought was there yesterday is gone the next day.

There’s a stream that runs through the meadow to the lake below that’s lined with brush. I just walked down the bank looking for a composition with the mountain in the background. I didn’t expect much from this shot when I made it but after the download it started to grow on me. What do you think?

D810, 24-70@35mm. f/20, iso 64, 1/15 sec, tripod

Nice white-topped mountain in the back, and you filled the fg nicely with the brush! What I noticed is that the fg does not have/creates a lot of depth, probably because of the lack of direct light there? Shooting with some low side light might let you capture more of the textures and shapes in the snow and around the brush, lifting the image further I think.

Thank you for your comments, Ron. Directional light would cause shadows from those bushes giving a totally different image. I actually waited for overhead clouds in order the get this simpler composition.

I understand. I assume there are more mountains, so I don’t know if there is light in the area possible that gives ‘usable’ shadows? Or light from behind the mountain in the back, giving backlight and shadows towards you.

Hi Igor,

I like this composition. For me it flows well from front to back.

I’d consider increasing the brightness level of the snow so that it’s about the same level as the clouds and I’d remove some contrast from the snow to make it appear shooter and less detailed.

Thank you for your rework, Nathan. I would ask members to tell me which they prefer. The rework has lost some of the texture in the snow and the branches are slightly brighter. It’s actually why I didn’t brighten up the snow. On the other hand, the brighter snow is more cheerful resulting in a more upbeat image. Like I said, more feedback would be nice to have.

Igor, this is an interesting early spring, late winter image and I like what you are doing. I prefer the brighter image as it helps draw my eye there and I can enjoy the twists and turns of the bushes a bit more. This may have to do with my dimming eyesight, but I think brightening it elevates the mood also.

Igor, I like the concept here, it is sort of a hybrid between an intimate and a grand landscape. While a shot of just the branches and snow would make a nice graphic intimate, I think adding the mountain and using the branches as part of a near/far makes for a stronger image. But by giving the branches 75% of the frame, it retains a strong intimate “flavor”.

I do prefer the increased luminosity in the snow, it adds more vitality to the scene. But I would not recommend increasing the luminosity to the same level as the snow on the mountain. I think somwhere in-between the original and @Nathan_Klein repost would allow for more vitality while retaining some texture in the snow. Minor nits but there are a few small bits of branch between the two larger top sections that I would clone away, and I would also clone away the small dark strip below the main tree/snow line in the URC.

This is nicely sharp and chilly, Igor. I like the shape/texture contrast between the branches in the foreground and the mountain and sky. That difference makes for a nicely dramatic view.

OK. I’ve reached my fill. I really can’t improve on the whites that you’ve presented here. The best part of your repost is that it has raised the dark shadows in the two deeper impressions. It’s the weakest part of the composition and you’ve helped it considerably.

This just goes to show how important it is to get the light right in the field. I should have waited for better light before taking this shot.

Thank you, Nathan.

1 Like

Igor,

Who would think that one could take some dormant, scraggly bush limbs emerging from winter and make a statement? Well, that’s just what you did. Kudos for recognizing not on the scene, but the fleeting nature of the composition as winter turns to spring.

Regarding the luminosity of the snow field. I too had a first impression the snow was kinda flat and gray. However, I can clearly see that the field/pasture is all but under cloud cover, and so the light/luminosity seems appropriate. (I like the sliver of bright sunlight on the snow just below the treeline.) The snow-capped peak and clouds seem appropriately white/bright.

I would agree that Ed’s version, all detail/texture in the snow has been lost. I know we’re getting down to small details, but I think there is a compromise between Ed’s and your original. Just a simple mid-tones Levels layer with both the black and white pts dragged inward a little - darks, darker, whites, whiter and pushing the midtones up a tad. I think some texture and detail can still be retained while making the snow just a bit more white rather than gray. It’s a fine point though.

Comp is solid and I like @Ed_McGuirk comment about the near/far AND intimate combination within your image post.

Lon

Virtually the same as Nathan’s. I warmed it up just a tad figuring that that was contributing to some of the blahness of the image.

Igor,

Not to belabor the point and I know you have had your fill, but here’s my take. I simply took a Mid-Tones 4 (TK v4) and brought in the white/blk pts and raised the mids to about 1.1. Then, for the reason mentioned about the shadows in the branches also being raised, I brought them back down with a Darks 3 Levels layer. And for both I painted out the bulk of the changes for the mountain/sky.

Then for grins using Selective Color actually make this a little cooler, dropping the yellow, raising the cyan just a few points. Hopefully not too much.

I guess all that matters is what your experience and interpretation of the white balance was at the time. FWIW, I think you did well waiting for the cloud cover…

1 Like

This is a great conversation with two renditions offering slightly different moods on a subtle scene. This thread is a great example for me of the value of this network as it allows us to understand different perspectives.

I like this a lot Igor. The emerging branches and bushes are a great lead in to the mountain. I like your warmer version Igor since it gives more life to the branches.