Awakening + BW

Small streams drain the snow from the meadow at the base of Mt Bachelor. As I type this most of the snow is gone. Soon there will be fresh shoots coming out to fill the vast meadow, followed by migrating birds.

I actually saw this a day before this shot was made. What I didn’t like was that that young sapling was touching the bottom of the trees way far back. So I went back to my place, got a small stepladder, and composed it from a bit higher with a more downward angle.

D810, 24-70@24mm, f/16, iso 64, 1/13 sec

b&w version with added texture.

2 Likes

Igor,

This is extremely enjoyable. Perhaps it’s the square format but it reminds me of Michael Kenna. It’s a classic composition. I like what I see from the front all the way to the back. Thanks for sharing this with us.

1 Like

Thank you. I had to look up his name. His images are indeed fascinating.

Igor,

Indeed a very pleasing view. I like the meadow stream as a lead-in and the water ends at the little sapling which continues to point further to Mt. Bachelor. Even though the stream opening continues towards the left edge, it terminates enough that I don’t feel like it’s pulling me out of the frame.

Kudos for elevating a bit to prevent the merge of the main sapling. Curious though, still two of the smaller ones on the left merge as well. But I’ll be preemptive and agree that those trees are smaller and the merge with the bg is not a factor. :wink:

I like the low cloud ceiling framing the scene - even though it obscures the mountain top. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be worth mentioning - but slightly influenced by the previous post from this winter meadow.

The ONLY little nit would be that small white circle near the right edge. Looks like a posting accident; it’s too perfect of a circle to be natural… :roll_eyes:

oh, color/luminosity of the snow looks spot on for me.

Like this one quite a lot.

Lon

I like the story unfolding in your series of Mt. Bachelor images Igor. Wonderful lead in with the stream. I also like the trees along the streams edge.

Igor, I really enjoy your artistic “vision”. I guess that’s the right word. You can take scenes with muted color palettes and turn them into something visually arresting. I enjoy a colorful landscape as much as anyone, but after a while the photoshop creations start to all look the same- boring.
:vulcan_salute:

I hope you didn’t have to hike too far with the stepladder :grinning:

I commented that your prior post was sort of a hybrid between and intimate and a grand landscape, there is no hybrid about this to me, it is a darn fine grand landscape. I agree with @Michael_Lowe, I like how you made this image work with a strong composition, even though the light and color are muted by the weather. That reverse S curve creates a lot of impact. Would love to see this B&W too, I think it would make for second strong interpretation of this scene as well.

I made the b&w conversion with added ACR texture to add, well , texture to the snow. It’s a new feature in ACR that I’m exploring. It seems to work better with b&w than with color.

The B&W looks great, that new ACR texture slider looks like it holds some promise. It’s also interesting how the trees seem to stand out more in the B&W version.

Beautiful foreground here Igor! The scene lends itself so good for a B&W, I think I prefer that one, with the added texture. Only issue is that strange white spot that is already mentioned.
Way to go getting a stepladder! I’ve never done that. :slight_smile: