Lake Superior Patterns

Taken on a December morning in 2021. It was a very pretty morning and the morning light lit up the sand ripples along the edge of the water.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I will often seek out these wave ripples in the sand as I find them to make interesting subjects. I cropped this photo quite a bit from the original which I have included in comments. I really wanted just that pattern which repeated so nicely. I purposely included the rock to break things up a bit.

Technical Details

Sony a7ii 20mm 6 Sec f16 ISO100 post processing in Lightroom.

2 Likes

I think you knocked this one out of the park, Cameron.

1 Like

Hey Cameron, great shot! I shot a lot of these sand ripple shots and love them. the color and repeating patterns are amazing.

Not sure the rock in the lower part of the image does much for me. I can see why it attracted you to the comp, but because it’s so dark, it is a bit of an anomaly and breaks the pattern, plus not easily recognized/identified. That’s just my first reaction.

Well seen and shot!

1 Like

Hey Cameron,

I think this image is great as is. The only thing I would experiment with is changing the tint slightly more green as there seems to be a slight magenta color cast. This might give you a little bit more depth and color separation.

Your friend,
Eric

1 Like

I live in Minnesota and love the north shore of Lake Superior. Both your crop and grand landscape rock. I agree that the image is about pattern and light. To me, much of the success of the images is in your superb job of seeing the subject both externally and internally. You were certainly rewarded for getting out early. I applaud the image, yet wonder why the ripples in the middle toward the background on left are blurred together since you have a deep depth of field. I prefer the crop; it’s a wonderful intimate landscape.

1 Like

Both images look great to me, but I do like the simplicity of the crop for the purposes of the challenge. I love the vibrant color and the patterns. I kind of like the inclusion of the rock in the crop version as a break in the pattern. Very striking.

1 Like

Thank you David!

Thanks John! The rock is the wild card part of the shot for me. There are other comps in there without it. I was curious what people would think. I tried masking and lightening up that area but didn’t like it’s balance as much.

Thanks Karla! I love to hear other people’s thoughts on NPN about composition. It’s good to hear the different perspectives.

1 Like

Hi Eric! Thanks for taking a look and for your comments. I will shift around my color balance and see how it looks.

Hi Larry! Thank you for your comments. I wonder if it has something to do with my 6 second shutter. It’s a while back that I took this and when I was getting the details to post I am confused as to why I did that. I think my settings would be different if I could get a redo.

Anyway, you have a intimate landscape to make you proud and to put on the wall. If you print it, you may need to open the shadows as LED screens lie about luminosity.

1 Like

I definitely like it with the rock. It breaks up the visual tension and adds an element you wouldn’t expect. The light is exquisite and your framing is just right. I wouldn’t change anything. Well seen. Oh, and I prefer the intimate over the larger version.

1 Like

Thanks Larry! Appreciate all the feedback.

Thank you David!

You bet! Keep at it!

1 Like