Lake Superior

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This small island ‘Little Presque Isle’ is in Lake Superior just north of Marquette. The lake and its slowly changing temperature means that the leaves near the shoreline tend to change much later than the rest. This island is usually the last place to go, one last hold out before the colors leave. I have take photos from this spot many times with many different configurations. The sandstone lines make nice leading lines and i felt they were mirrored well by the clouds.

Specific Feedback

I did crop this a bit and then went back closer to my original as it felt too tight.

Technical Details

sony a7ii at 23mm. 1sec f/20 ISO125. Processing in lightroom. Some masking and increase in exposure and contrast in the foreground.

3 Likes

Cameron, I can see why you keep going back to this spot. It has so much going for it even without the overwhelming beauty of the sunset. That rock and the light lines leading to it are ready made for an interesting foreground. At first I did not notice the color in the trees on the island. I took the liberty of taking it into Photoshop and found a tighter crop and some dodging of the trees on the island and a bit around the foreground rock helped balance the color. I also felt it balenced the composition and did not leave the rock just sitting there competing with the island. Just my take on a lovely scene.

3 Likes

What a wonderful capture!! The colors are amazing and believable! I like @Barbara_Djordjevic’s brightening of the island, but I like the room in the OP. How cool are those leading lines??

1 Like

Talk about sweet light and warm color! This had to be magical to witness in person, Cameron. Those leading lines in the rock point the way to the island perfectly. I do like the tweaks @Barbara_Djordjevic made as they make the fall colors on the island a little more prominent. Beautifully done.

1 Like

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic. i like that much better too. I use a lot of lightroom editing but i need to work on my photoshop skills. Thank you to @Diane_Miller and @Ed_Lowe for your comments as well.

Excellent composition. Beautiful sunset colors. A lot of nice leading lines to the island. I like the changes @Barbara_Djordjevic made to bring out the colors in the island’s trees.

1 Like

I’ve only been there once, but loved my sunset at LPI. My foreground included those sandstone streaks, too. Nicely done. You’ve got the bones of a stunner and I really like what Barbara did to bring a little more color and definition to the trees. It’s a great location for sure.

1 Like

Talk about a burning sunrise/sunset. For me either your crop or @Barbara_Djordjevic’s crop can work well, and it’s a matter of what you want to convey. Your crop conveys a sense of expansiveness whereas the tighter crop puts more focus on the rock and island. I do like the brighter treatment of the island.

1 Like

Thank you @DeanRoyer @Kris_Smith and @Allen_Brooks for the critique. I mostly use lightroom and i feel i have gotten pretty comfortable with the masking tools, i am not as good at selecting individual objects. I have attached the original. When i masked the foreground with the island and then brought up the exposure i was starting to get too much exposure in the water so i was trying to find a balance. Any recommendations for good photoshop for landscape tutorials?

I think tutorials will depend on a couple of things; whether you are a totally new Ps user or have some experience, or that you need a structured course curriculum so to speak. If you can talk a bit about that I have some ideas for you.

Thanks Kris. I am somewhat familiar. Probably the best place for me to start is as a beginnner. I am certainly closer to that end of the spectrum.

Two I can recommend since I have purchased courses from both of these gents -

As a totally new Ps user I took the Photoshop System course from Matt Kloskowski -

https://mattk.com/photoshopsystem/

After I got my feet under me with Matt’s course and added the Tony Kuyper’s TK8 plug in (now up to TK9), I took several courses by Sean Baghsaw. He is a great teacher and not only teaches the TK plugins, but Photoshop in general.

Since both courses have downloadable materials you can always refer back to them even if you aren’t online.

1 Like

Thanks so much Kris, I appreciate your time. Ill take a look at those.