Island on Yellowgirl Bay

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was actually a drive by shooting. We were sailing along on our last day of the season before putting the sailboat “on the hard” for the winter. I was able to shoot a few islands like this at the leisurely pace of about 4 knots. It was hazy that day, which gave some good contrast between the shoreline and the island itself.

Specific Feedback

I’d like comments on the square cropping, and on leaving the island front and centre. I left a lot of water up front to accentuate that it really is an island. I like the look, but am keen to know if it works.

Technical Details

Canon 6D mkii, with 50 mm f1.4 Canon lens
1/4000 sec @ f2.8, ISO 250, handheld
Minimal post-production in Lightroom. I popped the colours a bit, and increased the natural haze in the background somewhat. Square cropping, of course. I added a slight blur to the water to make it consistent throughout, and to add focus to the island.

What a cute little island. I love finding these, especially in the fall. The variety of trees on it is pretty cool considering its size. Not sure that a square crop is the best simply because I don’t know if we “need” that much water. It does frame it nicely and that departure from a landscape orientation adds interest as well. Nice side light bringing up the shapes and textures of the rocks and the trees.

Thanks for the critique. I may try some different crops.

Hi Warren! This is a very nice little island and I think you’ve captured it very well. I really like the trees on the island 0 as Kris said, the variety and colors really make it stand out. I also like how the haze has created a nice separation from the background. And the background also has good colors and light. The square crop looks fine, but I also don’t think it is necessary. Cropping a bit off the bottom might work even better, giving more visual importance to the island and lees on the water.

Here’s a quick 16:9 crop, with little regard for the rule of thirds. It looks better, I think.