October Storm, Presque Isle

Back in October, we had a strong storm come across Lake Superior, the first of many fall blows. I failed to get in the right place with the right conditions on my quick run around the island but thought this would be a good one to post here.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Cropping needed? Color, contrast, brightness changes? Any other edits?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon Rebel T7i Tamron 17-50 at 29mm, 1/2000, 7.1, iso 1250

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a nice well balanced composition. I’m enjoying the warm colors and the sky is engaging. The leaning tree on the right is an attention getter that could be dealt with.

1 Like

Brian, I love the combination of the autumn color and the stormy shoreline. As Igor said, this is a good composition, I think including the foreground rocks creates a nice sense of depth. Your processing of exposure/color/contrast looks pretty good to me. As for suggestions for improvement, I would start by cloning away the vegetation on the rocks in the LRC, it is a (very) minor distraction. I might also suggest adding some vignetting along the frame edges to draw more attention into the center of the image.

1 Like

This has a moody feel to it with the overcast conditions. I think the fall color brings just the right amount of vibrance to the scene. I like how you have captured the power of the crashing waves. I’m a little unsure of the foreground. I think I would like to either see more of the foreground or none at all. There is also some stray vegetation in the lower left hand corner that is a bit distracting. My recommendation would be to clone it out.

This is a very beautiful image, Brian. I love the drama in both the cloud laden sky and the wave action pounding the rugged shoreline. Of course the fall foliage is a big plus and adds some lovely color to the scene. My only suggestion would be to clone out the grasses in the LLC. Nice work.