Superior Finale

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An fall day in 2022 ends along the jagged shores of Lake Superior.

Specific Feedback

I would like feedback on color balance and contrast of this image. All general feedback is also welcome.

Technical Details

Adjusted in Photoshop with Level Adjustments, Dodging and Burning, and Color Balance tweaks to the Highlights and Shadows.

Lake Superior is a wild and beautiful place. Definitely one of my favorite places I’ve photographed. May I ask what side of Lake Superior this is?

I think the color balance is perfectly fine. They reflect that time of day. While you can’t quite control this, I wish there was more light skimming the rocks.

Appreciate the feedback Jason! I think I was a few minutes late to this location to catch the light on the rocks at sunset. This is a great sunrise location along the shoreline in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness in Michigan’s Western Upper Peninsula.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve never done the UP side of Superior but have done the Minnesota side a handful of times. I’m from southwest Wisconsin so both locations are a quick day trip away.

1 Like

I would highly suggest visiting the Porcupine Mountains! Miles of rugged shoreline, rivers, large and intimate landscapes everywhere. Also has the largest tract of Old Growth in the Midwest.

1 Like

Hi Josh, I hope you won’t mind me putting my 2 cents in, but I kept coming back to look at your image. I really like the dramatic sky and strong composition. I think that you could have gone just a touch farther with your dodging to bring out the fantastic textures in the foreground rocks and fall colors in the trees. I did a quick edit in LR as an example. Also, this image looks fantastic in B&W. Thanks for sharing.

There’s a great basis here, but the lighting is a little flat on some of the best stuff. I love what @Paul_Dileanis did! I’d definitely play with his ideas.

Thanks for the input Paul and John! I did dodge a little more throughout the rocks, water, and trees but wanted to keep it subtle. Here’s the new edit:

2 Likes