Lake Superior Abstracts

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Whenever I photograph a heavily photographed area, I try to get the iconic shot and then focus my attention on the smaller details or the area. This was photographed a couple years ago at Split Rock Lighthouse along Lake Superior in Minnesota. The entire shoreline is full of beauty with Split Rock Lighthouse State Park being one the most popular spots. The morning I photographed this scene, the iconic shot didn’t quite work. It was a clear morning with zero clouds on the horizon so I shifted my attention to different aspects of the park.

A few hundred feet off the shoreline, there were a few strips of basalt rock that had some soft morning light hitting it. A simple snapshot wouldn’t do the trick, so I decided to put on a 10 stop ND filter. Finding the right shutter speed was a little little tricky since I wanted to create a contrast of the smooth water and the textured rock, but also retain a touch of texture in the water.

I decided on a square crop since I felt it help to contain the image. I really like the end result and how the two small rocks in the foreground act as stepping stones towards the larger strip of rocks. I like how the faint hillside off in the distance is almost mirrors the shape of the rock. I also like the mix of warm and cool tones in this image.

Sometimes you can build up a location in your mind and have tunnel vision. Freeing your mind up can allow you to find compositions you didn’t even think you would find.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this image.

Technical Details

Nikon d850. Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2. ISO 400 86mm F10 4 seconds. Haida 10 stop ND filter.

Hi Jason, first welcome to the NPN community and thank you for submitting your image here!

I enjoyed reading your description about the location. Sounds like a great place to explore and just sit by the water. I’m glad to read the part about looking beyond the iconic shots. That’s how we build a deeper connection to a place.

Your choice for a long exposure was a good one. It helps to simplify the scene and let’s the main elements the rocks stand out. I also find the image calming.

Now, on to some suggestions for your photo. One thing I strive for in my own work is a sense of mystery to further engage the viewer and prompt questions. Context is important. How much do we reveal in the frame? What do we leave out. How can we reinforce the story, mood, or emotion? For me this often means eliminating the sky. I don’t know if you were wanting to push your image where it’s more abstract. If so, crop the sky and focus on the rocks. If the intent was to show this as representing a traditional landscape, mission accomplished. Thank you.