Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is mid west iconic. Although its large stone arches over Lake Superior have created a number of very iconic National Park images. This was taken on a kayak day trip in October of 2021. It was shot hand held from the kayak as I paddled along the cliffs. I took a number of closer photos of the rocks to highlight the mineral stains that give the park its name.

Specific Feedback

The unedited version of this photo is very dark, and remembering back I’m not quite sure why i did that. Possibly to get a shorter exposure to counteract the waves and my unsteady location in a kayak. I did try to be conscious of the framing and included the swell in a way that rose into the center of the photo.

Technical Details

Sony a7ii. 28mm 1/200 f/11 ISO 320 edited in lightroom.

2 Likes

Very cool look at these cliffs that we don’t see at this angle often. I like the arrangement of orange and green. Nice isolation. The very top almost looks like a mirrored reflection.

1 Like

Cameron, this is nicely framed, with a fine balance between the rocks and their distorted reflections. This is a new icon for me, although the colors make clear why it is an icon. They are amazing.

1 Like

Thank you Kristen.

Thanks Mark. Its a neat place. Lake Superior has lots of sandstone cliffs but these are definitely the most colorful.

I have to say that I like the arrangement of color you captured in this scene, Cameron. The reflection is quite nice and that little swell adds some additional interest towards the bottom edge of the frame. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks Ed!