Lake Superior Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I am enthralled with this SOOC image, esp colors, lines & textures, perhaps too much so. Would welcome critical feedback and recommendations.

Reposted Aug 2

Slight CCW rotation per commenter suggestion below.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Captured from stern of boat while returning to dock after an evening cruise to view rock formations on Devils Island in Lake Superior.

Technical Details

iPhone 15 Pro using 9mm lens, converted from HEIC image in LrC, no other processing. f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/60s, 81mm equiv.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Bob, this is warmly inviting as it speaks of a sunset cruise under beautiful circumstances. I like the transition into the wake and how the leading line of darkness heading for the horizon is slightly off center. It’s easy to see why you enjoy the scene, especially since you were there enjoying it in the first place.

1 Like

Beautiful almost-abstract image. The repeated wave pattern takes my eye right back to that illuminated strip of clouds. Might use a bit of CCW rotation.

1 Like

Thanks Ronald for the compliments and the suggestion. Indeed it did need a CCW shift. I’m reposting, slightly cropped to accommodate the rotation.

The parallel waves and darker areas lead the eye perfectly to that lake sunset.
Brings back fond memories of Lake Erie, where I was raised.
Nice catch!

Warm and cool tones very nicely captured! The lines going in two directions are wonderful and well-composed!

Thank you @SandyR-B and @Diane_Miller for your kind words, and for trying to capture its complex appeal. Cheers!
Bob

Very sophisticated composition Bob. I’ve been frustrated shooting Great Lakes sunsets myself, partly because the skies seem to always be dull. Perhaps there’s a physics lesson in why that is? In any case, I like this because it is true to place – this is a flat world with its own Midwestern beauty. As for critique, I would say I don’t need so much sky because the image is all about the light on the water.

Thanks for stopping by, James, I’m so glad you like the capture. Regarding the crop, I’ve attached an alternate 16x10 version that I did early on to emphasize the water. I posted the original 4x3 image because I wanted the hint of blue at the top, but I’m torn between the two.

Like it Bob. The sky and distant shorline are still strong enough to hold their own in the composition.