Landing Gear Down

What technical feedback would you like if any? I prefocused on the perch and this one is fairly sharp, but not quite ready for the big leagues in terms of sharpness.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Is the crop OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/2500 sec at f6.3, ISO 560) Crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI, Reduced Saturation, Shadows and Highlights, Brightness and Contrast. My first fairly reasonable phoebe action shot. These birds are fast. With a 10 frame per second burst, I usually picked up the bird coming into the frame and then after it landed. I prefocused on the perch and waited while watching for the phoebe without using the camera’s view finder. Enjoy…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

A very nice landing image, Jim. I love the wing position and the eye contact. With the setup you describe, I think you might want to go with higher f-stop and get a bit more depth of field. This looks good, but I think it could be just a bit sharper and you have a lot of room to play with given the settings you listed.

1 Like

Yes, this is a good landing shot. A little more depth of field, perhaps F8, and you might have nailed the focus. Maybe even 1/3200. These birds are fast. I really like the wing position in the diagonals in the image. Nice.

An attractive image. I like the pose and the detail looks good. Nice clean background.

Really like the perch, wingspread, and BG. I also really like the separation between the bird’s tail feathers and the perch. I agree with Dennis and David in that it looks like the bird is just outside the plane of critical focus. If you get a chance to try again, I think I’d focus just past the perch and shoot as the bird comes in.