Larch Cone + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Sense of size conveyed?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Larch cones are erect, small, 1–9 cm long, green or purple. The larch is a deciduous tree and loses its leaves (needles) in the autumn.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 100mm macro; f/22 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 100; hand held

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

1 Like

Bob, I am sorry I am late on this and all of macro lately. My husband has been in the hospital where they implanted a pacemaker. I just got him home about an hour or so ago. He immediately went to sleep. I wanted him to eat something first, he just hasn’t ate much since Monday morning.

Anyway, this is a pretty cool find. Not familiar with a Larch Cone. The plant itself is interesting. I don’t recall ever seeing it so maybe it grows in an area I have never visited.

The BG really makes it stand out. Looks like the cone is fairly sharp. I could see a bit more room at the edges, especially at the top. Anxious to read what is blurred out to learn more about the cone.

Thank you @ Shirley Freeman for viewing the image and your comments.
Your husband’s health is much more important than anything on NPN.
There are eight species of Larch worldwide. They are native to the cooler regions of the northern hemisphere. The two species living in North America are Tamarack on the East and Western Larch. They may not be where you live.
I planted this tree and during the first Fall my neighbors all told me my tree was dying. They had no knowledge of deciduous conifers.

Bob: We had larch trees when I lived in Spokane and I remember their fall change. I like the image overall. My only suggestion would be to eliminate the branch exiting the frame up top. It tends to take my eye out of the frame and it looks a little OOF. Back to you. >=))>

Thank you @Bill_Fach for your remarks and suggestion. The uppermost extension is bending back, away from the focal plane so it is a bit OOF. I will explore “pruning” the branch or “grafting” on a different bud.