Ode To A Pine Cone II

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the improved focus compared to this pine cone’s first image. I need to work out a better way of isolating the subject. I used the PS object selection and see why that was not a good idea. It took a lot of touch-ups to perfect the masking.

Creative direction

I am continuing to work with my macro lens and focus stacking. I like the idea of finding the beauty in ordinary things available to anyone.

Specific Feedback

Feedback in all areas is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv with a 2.8/90 macro lens on a tripod.
ISO 500, f/13, 2.5 sec.
Ten images were focus stacked in Zerne
Processed in LR & PS using luminosity masking.

Description

I am enjoying the challenge of focus stacking a pine cone.

@Shirley_Freeman I have darkened the area on the RL corner of the image so it balances the LL corner. Thanks for your comments. @Dennis_Plank, you found an area that had given me a lot of trouble. I used a knit fabric as the background, and the subtle ridges showed. I won’t make that mistake the next time. I haven’t figured out what I have that I can easily use as a background.

1 Like

Barbara, the cone itself looks nice to me. Feels like I can reach out and pick it up. The BG around the cone looks good except up around the bottom, to me it looks like you did it post processing. You are light years ahead of me on stacking and making pine cone look this good, so on that I will let those with more expertise help you with suggestions if they have any.

Hi Barbara: Maybe the stacking gurus can find something wrong with the stack, but I can’t. I do see some stuff that looks like lint under the bottom of the cone that can be very easily cleaned up in post processing. I downloaded you image and circled the areas I found. Other than that very minor nit (and I had to search for it) I love it.

Years ago I stopped at a craft store and bought a big package of assorted color construction paper (11x17). I’m still working on it. Some nice two-tone foam core also makes a good background. For your pine cone, I thought a black reflective surface would be really, really cool, though you might have to change your angle a trifle. I know people who haunt the dollar store for just such props.

I love the idea. My “studio” is the counter in my kitchen and dining area. There are lights under the overhanging cabinets. That is it!

Barbara, what a great project to work on to learn stacking. It looks great to me.

Thanks, Ed. I have already learned a lot about what not to do. :grinning:

Yes! This one is even more lovely – you have great lighting in your studio! For me, the slight texture in the BG is attractive. Selecting a subject is usually far from perfect and for me always needs a lot of mask painting. Much easier when the stack is nice and sharp. I like the “drop shadow” around the bottom of the cone but the artifacts @Dennis_Plank pointed out might be minimized if you can elevate it just a little off the base – a little wad of putty like UHU-Tac might work well.

Sometimes in a case like this it can work to select the BG with repeated clicks of the Magic Wand in PS, with a high enough tolerance set. (Shift-click to keep adding to the selection.)

Thanks, Diane, for the suggestions.

Barbara, the improvement in sharpness between this cone and your previous cone post is striking. Well done. Since you’re working in “your studio” (…Bill Fach used to post flower shots from a similar “studio”) getting mat board in a few different colors will give you a more uniform background although they will still show texture at higher magnification. I know of folks who carry “backgrounds” into the field for non-studio macro work.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver, for the encouragement. I have followed up on @Dennis_Plank 's suggestion regarding construction paper.

Also consider brown and white butcher paper. Long rolls available from Amazon. You will have big pieces to make seamless backdrops. Google it if it’s a new term. Very handy in some cases.

1 Like

Thanks, a great idea. I do have something very much like that.