Last Light in the Pine Barrens

Drone photograph over a fall forest in a remote section of the New Jersey Pine Barrens

Fall morning on the Mullica River in the New Jersey Pine Barrens

Odd twilight in Joshua Tree National Park.

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I love the light on this location and am concerned if the composition with the clouds helps to bring attention to the way the light was falling on the scene.

Creative direction

Most of my work is in the NJ Pine Barrens. This is a flat sandy coastal plain I feel that this is an ideal place to bring out the beauty of nature int this place that lacks dramatic features like mountains and valleys.

I am also highly influenced by the artists of the Hudson River School and their concept of storm light has been something that I have sought to find and photograph. Another inspiration for this particular image is artist Peter Fiore’s series of paintings called Last 15 which depict the last 15 minutes before sunset.

Specific Feedback

Since the scene is a flat landscape, I wonder if the aesthetic and emotional impact is there for photographers who work in more dramatic landscapes. If the reviewer is inspired to visit the Pine Barrens, based on my work, I feel I’ve succeeded with this image.

Technical Details

Canon 5D MkIV with a 24-70 lens @ 41mm, .3 sec @ f/16, ISO 100. Basic processing was done in Lightroom and final processing was done in Photoshop. The only real thing I can add about the post processing was that I used luminosity masks to work the contrast and added some warming of the scene using a curves layer in Photoshop set to the Color blending mode.

Description

This photograph was made at sunset in late October in the Franklin Parker Preserve which is a 12,000 acre preserve that was a cranberry farm where the bogs were allowed to return to their natural state. On this particular evening storm clouds were building but the sun broke through just before it set and lit the edge of this little island and some of the forest behind it.

Hey Rich: I have yet to be there, but would love to. We shoot on the jersey shore several times a year. I wonder if you knew my good friend, Charles Riter, who was also a Pine Barrens photographer. This is incredible light! The white, blue, and purple tint in the clouds are a soft compliment the scene, but the quality of this great light is what brings attention to the light falling on the scene. The mirror reflection is always a winner, and soft muted color in the reflection rounds out the story of this tremendous image. I wouldn’t change a thing. I wish I was there! Outstanding image, Art.

Hi Tony,
I did know Charles. He was a good guy. We’d occasionally shoot together and it was never a dull moment. He was a force and I miss him .

Thanks for the critique, I really appreciate your views on this image. The main focus of my work is the Pine Barrens and sometimes I wonder if the beauty I see and photograph in that flat sandy landscape plays well to those who are used to seeing and photographing the more traditional icons of the landscape like mountains, cascading rivers and so on. Thanks Again Tony. If you are in NJ and want a tour of the Pines, let me know. I’d be happy to show you around.

Rich, please drop a line to tony@tonysweet.com so I have your email and when is a good time to go there. Charles liked spring and fall, like most other places, but sure, I’d love to meet up for a tour. Never got around to it with Charles. We hung out for about 10 yrs before his passing. Charles had a real lust for life, man. So, please let me know the best time and where to stay and I’ll carve out some time. Thanks. Tony

1 Like