Last Light on the Canyon

Re-do reducing blues at top of frame

Second re-do reducing brightness in foreground

Raw file

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was lucky enough to be offered a trip up to the Grand Canyon by a photographer friend with a 4 WD truck the day after a snowstorm passed through. We had partly cloudy skies throughout the day. This was one of the last frames I shot that day, shortly after sunset.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

3 secs, f/16, ISO 160. Nikon Z7ii, 24-120mm @49mm. Slightly cropped. Processed in ACR and PS.

Patrick, the lack of contrast in the raw file is something that I run into regularly. When that happens, I find that as I add contrast, Adobe’s adding saturation often goes too far. That looks to be the case here as the blue tones, in the canyon on the left and sky on the right look overdone. The extra contrast does let the detailed textures in the mid-ground rocks show very well.

Thanks Mark for your comment. I agree with you that maybe the blues were a little overdone. The culprit wasn’t just from adding contrast, but also a saturation layer that I added. I uploaded another version with the blues toned down a bit. For me, a little added color in the sky is still a good thing.

Patrick, you have captured a wondrous landscape here with the added benefit of a smattering of snow to provide some visual contrast. I don’t mind the blue in the background valleys and rocks as it aids in separation from the mid ground, although I would make it a tad less blue for my taste.
I feel that the mid ground and foreground are competing for attention. If you want the mid ground to be the focal point then I feel the foreground is too bright, saturated, and sharp. It certainly has more contrast than the mid ground. If foreground is the star then perhaps soften slightly the mid ground to reduce its impact.
I guess you may feel as they are both of equal weight, however ,for me, my eye is constantly drifting towards the foreground.

Thanks Mark for you input. I agree! I decreased the brightness of the foreground a bit and just added that version to my original post.