Last Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The last light of the evening illuminates cottonwood trees in Yosemite Valley as the sun descends behind the valley walls. The effect lasted for mere moments.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 170mm, 1/20 sec, f/11, ISO 100

2 Likes

The contrast of the white limbs against the blue cliff is beautiful. Nice capture.

Nice capture. If it was only there for seconds, you timed your visit well. At first I was not sure what the background was. Made me think of van Gogh’s “Starry Night.” I really like the image. Just a very minor thought, and it might not work: What about the trees that are more in shadow. Bring the tone up a little to stand out against the wall? Or darken them so the light trees stand out more? Just a passing thought. You can do nothing, and still have a lovey image.

Oh that beautiful blue Yosemite light! I like this composition.

@Ronald_Murphy Thank you, Ron; that look is what I was aiming for.

@patrick6 I appreciate your comments; I will indeed experiment with the shadows. The sun moves fairly quickly in November, when this was taken, so it allows for a variety of light/composition combinations within an hour of time.

@DJLeland I also love those blue shadows! Thanks for the compliment.