The Last Kiss

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The last kiss of light on some of the peaks in the White Mountains in NH. I did not have high hopes for a sunset this particular evening as the clouds were pretty heavy, but there was just enough of a break in the clouds behind me to let the setting sun light up this scene in front of me. This wonderful light lasted for all of two minutes before it was gone; long enough for me to capture a couple of images that I liked. After this was over I was able to turn around and capture a couple more images of some lovely warm toned clouds. This was taken from the aptly named Sunset Hill.

Specific Feedback

Should I keep the FG treeline?

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 200 mm, f 11 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 200, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Ed, You caught some sweet light with this image! It’s always nice when conditions turn the right way, even if it is just for a fleeting moment. I don’t mind the FG trees, I think they give a nice additional row of rising and falling to echo the hills between your vantage point and the colorful range.

Ed this is beautiful. It is odd you asked about the front treeline as I was thinking if they were just muted somehow this would make a wonderful painting. Nothing against the beautiful treeline, just a little different rendition of it.

1 Like

Ed, including the clouds in this scene I’m not sure I recall seeing any image with so many layers from front to back. Amazing how this lays out here. The tree line is no issue at all, but eliminating it you can go with another image as somewhat pano in the end.
Heck, it’s always nice to get one or more scenes from one image IMO…nice work as always.

Ed, I find the color shifts from the green trees at the bottom to the blue clouds at the top wonderful. Yes, the saturated greens at the bottom are distinctly different from the rest of the colors. Either desaturating them or removing them would provide a notably different view. As presented, they provide a striking lead into the scene.

1 Like